GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locked Down???

Default Locked Down???

I have '95 530i, just got it a month ago, drives & runs great. I have been using the OBC for anti theft...the other night I punch in my CODE...then the following morning when tried to start the car, the OBC did not ask for CODE, so I went on to start the engine...won't crank...checked Display Control...the radio works , on the OBC only time is displayed ...read some posting on the net...disconnected the battery for 15 min...plug it back ... now the OBC displays PPPP and Radio displays CODE(I have the code)but cannot do anything, Found out when I turn the key to 2 position the fuel gauge doesn't indicate any level...I also found out that it has a factory remote keyless entry module (which the former owner did not know,2nd owner), but it doesn't have the chip,...checked on the fuses(fr Bentley Service Manual) fuse # 1, 15, 17, 20 & 29 , & fuse # 33 under the rear seat...they are all OK...tried to reseat them though...need your help...Thanks in advance

Default When the anti theft alarm is on, fuel relay is off

respectively it does not work when someone tries to start the car.

Have you tried to enter date and time on the BC? Maybe then the PPPP is gone.
    On the E32 there is a 'secret' fuse for the anti theft system and it is also connected to the BC. If the BC does not show any power, look for this fuse under the rear seat.
    It's from the German 7er.com, so language is German, but pics will do

click here

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    respectively it does not work when someone tries to start the car.

Have you tried to enter date and time on the BC? Maybe then the PPPP is gone.
    On the E32 there is a 'secret' fuse for the anti theft system and it is also connected to the BC. If the BC does not show any power, look for this fuse under the rear seat.
    It's from the German 7er.com, so language is German, but pics will do

click here

With PPPP displayed on the OBC I can not do anything. I think the OBC is powered up because PPPP is displayed...How do I check though if the OBC is powered up? I might be wrong....thanks Shogun

PPPP means it has power. If no power, all is dead. PPPP also means that it cannot communicate with the check control. Just a shot in the dark: remove the CCM (the module in the fuse box, CCM is written on the top) and spray the contacts with a good electr. contact spray, same do with the connections on the BC.
    In any case you have to reset time and date.

Good Luck

PPPP means it has power. If no power, all is dead. PPPP also means that it cannot communicate with the check control. Just a shot in the dark: remove the CCM (the module in the fuse box, CCM is written on the top) and spray the contacts with a good electr. contact spray, same do with the connections on the BC.
    In any case you have to reset time and date.

Good Luck
    I tried what you suggested but still no luck...thanks again ...Shogun

Here, has anyone posted this link yet? Its a tiny confusing at first, but its really interesting. theres stuff about the PPPP thing there. And while someone mentioned cleaned the contacts on the CCM, why not pop out the OBC too just for fun. theres a button behind the radio to pop it out. its worth a try.

read this

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_35.htm

good luck. search the forums too, you might find something

Quote Originally Posted by infinity5
    Here, has anyone posted this link yet? Its a tiny confusing at first, but its really interesting. theres stuff about the PPPP thing there. And while someone mentioned cleaned the contacts on the CCM, why not pop out the OBC too just for fun. theres a button behind the radio to pop it out. its worth a try.

read this

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_35.htm

good luck. search the forums too, you might find something

Kept on searching the postings and the latest thing I did was disconnected the battery terminals and grounded the cables for ten minutes, then left the cables disconnected over night...the following day connected the battery terminals and tested it...the OBC still displayed PPPP and can not change anything...pressing any key no response....next thing I did was disconnect the battery again, pop out the Radio and unplug the OBC for 30 min...plug it back in....connected the battery...turn on the key Radio ON, now OBC doesn't
    display anything....press 1000 and 10 nothing happens...also I do not get any
    display on the control display....checked on the fuses...all the fuses that concerns the OBC are all OK now I'm stuck...Pls help

Default there is a 'secret' fuse

for the OBC in connection with the anti-theft device. At least on the E32 and I guess it is the same for the E34.
    It sits under the rear seat in a slot.

Before you search for the fuse, use a small torch and light onto the OBC display with a slight angle. Then switch some of the push buttons on the BC. If you see numbers changing, just the bulbs are out for the background light of the OBC. But the OBC would have power. If that does not change, then the OBC has no power at all. Then check for the fuse.

for the OBC in connection with the anti-theft device. At least on the E32 and I guess it is the same for the E34.
    It sits under the rear seat in a slot.

Before you search for the fuse, use a small torch and light onto the OBC display with a slight angle. Then switch some of the push buttons on the BC. If you see numbers changing, just the bulbs are out for the background light of the OBC. But the OBC would have power. If that does not change, then the OBC has no power at all. Then check for the fuse.

I forgot to to mention that when I pop out the OBC one of the 3ea background bulb is busted...could this be a problem however I've noticed that the display on the OBC is little bit dimmer compared to the display on the Radio...before this problem happened...I will try your 1st step tomorrow...

Shogun..thanks for your response....I checked on the 1st image attached on reply...that indeed there is a hiden fuse under the hole where you lock down the rear seat but there is also fuse#33 on the rear distribution panel that relates to the OBC. I will check this next...

Default depends on type of BC you have

The older has 4 bulbs the other one 3, 1 is for the ilumination of the push buttons, the other 2 for the ilumination of the display.

But the ilumination has no effect on the function of the BC. Even if all bulbs are dead, it works.
    Some weeks ago at a meeting of E32 drivers here in Japan I repaired the BC of someone's 735.
    He had the car since >1 year, but thought the BC is cpl. out of order. I used my small torch and lit on the display from the top and pushed all buttons. It worked, but he did not know it.
    Someone had spare bulbs (always most of the people have the trunk full of parts for delivering to other members or just to change on such meetings. Do you need this, I could need that from you etc) and we did the repair on the spot.

By the way, next meeting my trunk will also be full with used parts. Just got a lot from a friend in Germany. The guys will be happy. I am looking for a MOMO steering wheel in wood which someone has for sale/trade, and now I have a lot of stuff for trade, LKM, cpl. dashboard, 2 throttle valves, CCM, headlights from Hella (all new), GM, RM, IHKA control panel, sword, MOTRONICS and EML for an M70 engine, ABS, water pump, water valves, aux water pump, power steering pump, generator, switches, relays etc.

My wife will be happy if I bring back less parts from the meeting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast