GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door panel fix it (pics inside).

Default Door panel fix it (pics inside).

Finally took both rear door panels off to assess the shrunken vinyl, puffy looking, dumbass affliction known to many e34 owners. The vehicle is stored for the winter, so its time to attempt some of the “I’ll do it later” repairs in my spare time. I know the fix is well documented elsewhere, but I thought this may inspire someone else who has been putting it off, as improving the situation is not all that difficult. I didn’t take pics of the bubbly panels, but they were as bad or worse as any I’ve seen on the forum. The worst areas were at the armrest and behind the ‘covering vinyl trim’ above the armrest.

Step 1) Remove door panels (read the Bentley). I was surprised how easily the rears came off. Just pull at a bottom corner to start releasing the clips (make sure there are all released), then give a good sharp pull upward to remove. I kinda pulled the panel outward while pulling up as I thought it may help release from the clip at the middle of the door. Anyhow, it was easy and I broke zero clips during removal.

Step 2) Since the molded vinyl (large single bottom layer) was shrunken at the armrest and behind the covering trim piece, pushing everything up with it, I peeled back the trim and voila, the previous owner had attempted the fix, but was not quite diligent enough. There was already a slit cut and glue everywhere. I decided I needed to do a better job. I cut some additional material out and stretched things into place.

Step 3) I though about using Gorilla glue for everything, but wanted something a bit more reliable. I stopped at a small auto upholsterer around the corner and handed him the panel. 2 minutes later he handed it back stapled and said he didn’t want payment for it. Of course I brought him the other thinking I would pay him for that, but he again insisted no. Gotta hate nice people like that, wait till he gets the front ones.

Step 4) In order to hold the armrest vinyl down, I used Gorilla glue (as the staples would have shown in this area). I used a couple of small 1”x2” pieces of wood and my penny collection to ‘clamp’ it down. This is where I damaged some clips, which I promptly added to a BMA order through Patrick. The glue seems to be mighty strong and will hopefully hold as well as the staples (assuming they hold). I Gorilla glued the covering piece back on, cleaned the panels and used some vinyl spray cleaner/conditioner junk, which, when still wet, explains the glossy sheen apparent in the photos.

So, they’re far from perfect, but good enough for the girls I date. They also cost less than $20 Can. to repair, which is @ $680 Can. less than two new rear panels. And it was fun to watch glue dry.
    Hope this might help someone.
    Last edited by Dave M; 01-28-2005 at 09:32 PM.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

I did something similar, by slitting the vinyl where it had shrunk and pulled out of that recess, got glue under the vinyl, and stapled it to keep from pulling loose. I used auto trim adhesive to hold the top piece on--laid a couple bricks on it overnight while the glue set.

How bad were they orginally? I tried a similar repair but because the vinyl had bubbled up underneath the armrest as well I wasn't very successful. Is there some way to stretch the vinyl out (reliably, of course)?
    Sean H
    '02 325ci
    '84 318i GTR

Quote Originally Posted by Sean H
    How bad were they orginally? I tried a similar repair but because the vinyl had bubbled up underneath the armrest as well I wasn't very successful. Is there some way to stretch the vinyl out (reliably, of course)?
    The passenger side rear armrest was the worst. The vinyl beneath the trim cover and at the curve to the top of the armrest was bubbled out @ 1". It truely did look like $hit. It almost appeared as though there was no armrest remaining, just a jentle curve where the armrest should be and a peeling trim cover for the finishing touch. Two very nice upholsterers I spoke with (with door panel in-hand) said stretching the vinyl was out of the question, and re-upholstering them would be mucho-costly. So I opted for the cheaprt alternative. What the heck, i may as well try, as it couldn't get much worse. You have to get that slit cut as far along the vinyl, under the covering trim as possible to allow you to glue/staple vinyl where it needs to go and have as little tension on it as possible. If you've already attemped this, than your panels may be worse than mine and new ones, or ones from a wrecker may be in your future.

Good luck

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Default follow-up question???

Dave M - Now that it's been a few months are you happy with your choice of Gorilla Glue for this job?

Karl - Now that it's been a while are you happy with your choice of "auto trim adhesive" for this job?

I am getting ready to do all four of my door panels and I only want to do it once. Anyone else have a suggesion for the proper adhesive, or techniques not otherwise mentioned here?

Big thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by motuman
    Dave M - Now that it's been a few months are you happy with your choice of Gorilla Glue for this job?

Karl - Now that it's been a while are you happy with your choice of "auto trim adhesive" for this job?

I am getting ready to do all four of my door panels and I only want to do it once. Anyone else have a suggesion for the proper adhesive, or techniques not otherwise mentioned here?

Big thanks!
    yeah i need to do mine soon too so I was wondering what the best glue to use is? would it be best to go to an auto trimmers and buy some off them or ask them what the best is?

I used Automotive GOOP. Seems to work okay, but I've only had it on for two months. IIRC, somebody said that it only lasts a year or so. Most recommend physically affixing the leather (if so equipped) and vinyl to the fiberboard panel. I compromised and cut two pieces of wood (which were stained and polyurethaned to match the other trim pieces) and used brass screws to bolt those suckers into the area between the leather "accent" and the opening lever/ashtray. This eliminated the unsightly shrinking vinyl and added a nice accoutrement to the car. However, if I were doing it again, I would've cut the vinyl and stapled it, as Dave did.

best, whit

Default Recovering panels

If you are going to attempt to recover Gary's upholstery has very nice products. Just cut a small piece off and they will match it as close as possible. I have been very happy with their products. http://www.garysupholstery.com/index.html

Default Recovering panels

If you are going to attempt to recover Gary's upholstery has very nice products. Just cut a small piece off and they will match it as close as possible. I have been very happy with their products. Gary's Upholstery

Yours turned out a lot better than mine, Dave. I fixed the passenger side today. I had a lot more area that had loosened. Much better than before, but I think I'll do a little used door panel searching.

Will the updated door panels with the 1 piece arm rest / handle fit my E34?

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast