GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Electrical Bug

Default Big Electrical Bug

Man... The check engine light comes on, trans program, temperature flashes
    randomly, the headlights, odometer, vanity lights pulsate. I just switched out the capacitors in the cluster so I got spedo guages back. But I still have this
    electrical current thingi goin on. The LKM looked fine. PLEASE HELP!!!

Check that voltage regulator?!

I wouldn't even drive the thing until it's verified as working.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Check that voltage regulator?!

I wouldn't even drive the thing until it's verified as working.
    I have to drive it to the mechanic like 4 miles away. What could I fudge up if I
    drive it?

Lorcet - if you have a voltmeter, you can diagnose this yourself. The only other info you'll need is the spec, which I would give you, but can't because I left my Bentley's in Ohio and am now in North Carolina (it's being mailed to me). With a few good tools, you'll be good to replace the alternator, as well, if it turns out to be the faulty component.

If there's any damage due to the problem, I'd say that it's probably already done. I'm just concerned that, if it is spiking voltage, various modules are getting or have already gotten fried.

Best, whit

Default Battery is a masive regulator. ...

As long as you do not unplug battery with the engine running, you shouldn't have significant over-voltages. Per your description (very general though) you seem to have swells or flickers in the power (absence of power momentarily). This can only be attributed to a defective power or ground connection. Just identify the involved circuits and check them for proper connections (not only to battery, through fuses and relays, but also to ground). Paid special attention to the fuse link and all the fuses and relay contacts. A partially damaged fuse or relay may be the culprit.

Javier

I dropped the car off at the mechanic yesterday. He checked the alternator
    and told me he was getting readings as high as 17 from it. Does this sound like b.s. or could it really give off that much juice?

Default Is your battery fried by now?

if he checked it and got that voltage IN the car you have a definite voltage regulator problem. I believe the regulator is built on the alternator so if its kickin that high then thats obviously the problem and you may have fried a bunch of stuff.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Well, the battery was replaced with new 3 months ago. I checked and replaced all the fuses the day before it hit the shop. I had my high beams
    and fog lights go out last week. Checked the fuses, LKM ect, didnt even mention that to the mechanic but I will have to fix that also. I noticed the
    bulb for the fog lights on the cluster is out also, but the blue high beam light still works.

Yeah, regulator's on the back of the alternator, I think. I've seen a repair/replacement procedure for just the regulator...perhaps on Bruno's site? Shogun probably knows...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast