GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1994 BMW 530I FRONT-END/STEERING has VIBRATIONS/WOBBLE?????

Default 1994 BMW 530I FRONT-END/STEERING has VIBRATIONS/WOBBLE?????

I recently purchased a 1994 BMW 530I - with a 5 Speed Manual tranny. It had a typically loose suspension for 120,000 miles and when driving it the front tires wobbled side-to-side quite violently between 50 and 60 MPH. But the engine is strong and recently re-built.

I figured suspension and steering parts were worn so I performed a surgery and after all was done the car rides like brand new....except for the fact that the vibration is still there. It is not as violent as the front end is now tighter and helps reduce the vibrations...but it is very much a problem and is pretty shakey between 55 and 68 MPH.

I took the car to a BMW mechanic today and after checking all the tires balance and double checking the allignment and all of my suspension work...he told me that the steering gearbox may be warn and needs to be replaced at a cost of around $1750,00 for parts and labor. He also said as I had felt...that it is in the front end and is not driveshaft related, or rear-end related.

My brother (who drives a restored 93' 750IL) says that the gearbox can be re-adjusted (tightened) to remedy this problem.

So you all know exactly what has been done so far. Here is the list of the surgery I performed on the steering and suspension and the other little work done to try and fix the vibrations:

ALL NEW PARTS INSTALLED: Installed under BMW Load specs!!
    Control Arms - L & R Side
    Thrust Arms - L & R Side
    Tie Rods - L & R Side
    Swaybar Links - L & R Side
    Idler Arm
    New Front Struts (Billstein Sport)
    New Rear Struts (Billstein Sport)
    Wheel Hub and Bearing Assembly - L & R

ADDITIONAL WORK:
    4 wheel allignment by BMW using weights and all neccessary procedures.
    All tires were balanced by BMW.

This brings me to January 25th, 2005 where I now set wondering if I need to replace the steering gearbox....or if it can be tightened to fix it. I figured I would stop by here as I usually find better answers in forums than I do wondering the city of LA talking to mechanics that are all out to shaft you.

So everyone....what do you think is the problem....can you please help me fix my car whic I do love so much. And if I need a new steering gearbox....any ideas on the best place to purchase one at a good price?

Well thanks all for helping and keep your wheels on the ground!!!!!

RC
    Last edited by streamlined; 01-26-2005 at 01:34 PM.

50-60 wobble is thrust arms typically.

Have you had the car in the air and have a friend push/pull the tires to locate any play? I had play in the steering linkage from the box to the wheel that tightened it up quite nicely on my car.

I replaced my thrust arms a year ago but I have the 50-60 wobble especially when I hit the brakes so its time to do the thrusters again. I know what im doing now so it will be easier.

Part of maintenance I guess.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    50-60 wobble is thrust arms typically.

Have you had the car in the air and have a friend push/pull the tires to locate any play? I had play in the steering linkage from the box to the wheel that tightened it up quite nicely on my car.

I replaced my thrust arms a year ago but I have the 50-60 wobble especially when I hit the brakes so its time to do the thrusters again. I know what im doing now so it will be easier.

Part of maintenance I guess.
    I replaced the thrust arms this weekend so thats not it...and if your thrust arms are only lasting you one year...you have a problem in there causing the thrust arm to fail. They dont fail yearly....should last at least 70,000 miles.

I think it the steering gearbox. adjusting it or getting a new one is the question?

i cant see that a worn box would cause a vibration.It is in your tires or wheels.Have you tried switching wheels front to back,are your hubs clean,are you sure your wheels dont have a bend,apparentl a hunter dynamic balance is best
    Gone but not forgotten

Default Steering box

Quote Originally Posted by streamlined
    I recently purchased a 1994 BMW 530I - with a 5 Speed Manual tranny. It had a typically loose suspension for 120,000 miles and when driving it the front tires wobbled side-to-side quite violently between 50 and 60 MPH. But the engine is strong and recently re-built.

I figured suspension and steering parts were worn so I performed a surgery and after all was done the car rides like brand new....except for the fact that the vibration is still there. It is not as violent as the front end is now tighter and helps reduce the vibrations...but it is very much a problem and is pretty shakey between 55 and 68 MPH.

I took the car to a BMW mechanic today and after checking all the tires balance and double checking the allignment and all of my suspension work...he told me that the steering gearbox may be warn and needs to be replaced at a cost of around $1750,00 for parts and labor. He also said as I had felt...that it is in the front end and is not driveshaft related, or rear-end related.

My brother (who drives a restored 93' 750IL) says that the gearbox can be re-adjusted (tightened) to remedy this problem.

So you all know exactly what has been done so far. Here is the list of the surgery I performed on the steering and suspension and the other little work done to try and fix the vibrations:

ALL NEW PARTS INSTALLED:
    Control Arms - L & R Side
    Thrust Arms - L & R Side
    Tie Rods - L & R Side
    Swaybar Links - L & R Side
    Idler Arm
    New Front Struts (Billstein Sport)
    New Rear Struts (Billstein Sport)

ADDITIONAL WORK:
    4 wheel allignment by BMW using weights and all neccessary procedures.
    All tires were balanced by BMW.

This brings me to January 25th, 2005 where I now set wondering if I need to replace the steering gearbox....or if it can be tightened to fix it. I figured I would stop by here as I usually find better answers in forums than I do wondering the city of LA talking to mechanics that are all out to shaft you.

So everyone....what do you think is the problem....can you please help me fix my car whic I do love so much. And if I need a new steering gearbox....any ideas on the best place to purchase one at a good price?

Well thanks all for helping and keep your wheels on the ground!!!!!

RC
    I don't think your problem is in the steering box. However before you even consider rebuilding it try an adjustment first. It is very quick and easy to do.

Locate the adjustment screw ( it takes an allen wrench ) and locking nut on the top of the steering box. Turn your wheels all the way to one side. Loosen the locking nut and turn in the adjustment screw 1/4 of a turn and then tighten down the locking nut. I say 1/4 of a turn because this adjusment is very sensative and you don't want to overtighten it. This will cause premature wear in the box. Drive the car and see how the steering feels. You may need to tighten it a little more or loosen it off a bit. When I did mine I had to fool with it a bit to get it right but it takes so little time it won't kill your whole afternoon. This will not remove your vibration but your steering play will be reduced.

What size wheels do you have on the car?

Default Steering box and Thrust arms

The steering box "tighten" procedure that someone posted should help if there is any play. If it doesn't, you will need a steering box.

One thing...did you tighten up the bushings with the suspension under load and did you use 750 bushings (or similar HD bushings)?
    "Uncle" Phil C
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    Former owner of a 95 525i 5spd. "The GQ" aka A Shark in sheeps clothing
    03 R1150RT 6spd. "DaRTth"
    00 R1100R 5spd. "LeRoy"

Hey Drum, it is not a quick and easy procedure with the V8 engine, I was going to try it until I found out whats involved. I was ready to sell the car. I had a friend help and found that I had a LOT of play in the steerung wheel coupling and the box is tight with NO play...whew.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Response is below

Default Update regarding post to my problem!!

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    Hey Drum, it is not a quick and easy procedure with the V8 engine, I was going to try it until I found out whats involved. I was ready to sell the car. I had a friend help and found that I had a LOT of play in the steerung wheel coupling and the box is tight with NO play...whew.

This is in response to all...thanks for the replies.

I have had BMW check all the rims and tires and have all are perfectly straight...one of them on the front is brand new. The rims are stock 16 Inch BS style rims that have been inspected by BMW's rim dealer here in Los Angeles and they say that the rims were an upgrade done by the previous owner upon purchase to an inch larger than stock and that they installed them for the previous owner. So its not the rims or tires.

I have also replaced the wheel hub and bearing assembly on both fronts and the car is riding on new tires which have been rotated three times with no change in the wobble.

I agree that it should be in the steering components or wheels. But now, there are only so many things left that it could be as so much is brand new. All tightening of the arms were done under load specs and so was the allignment. I am certain it must be fixable so I am still on the hunt. Any more ideas would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by drum2430
    I don't think your problem is in the steering box. However before you even consider rebuilding it try an adjustment first. It is very quick and easy to do.

Locate the adjustment screw ( it takes an allen wrench ) and locking nut on the top of the steering box. Turn your wheels all the way to one side. Loosen the locking nut and turn in the adjustment screw 1/4 of a turn and then tighten down the locking nut. I say 1/4 of a turn because this adjusment is very sensative and you don't want to overtighten it. This will cause premature wear in the box. Drive the car and see how the steering feels. You may need to tighten it a little more or loosen it off a bit. When I did mine I had to fool with it a bit to get it right but it takes so little time it won't kill your whole afternoon. This will not remove your vibration but your steering play will be reduced.

What size wheels do you have on the car?

My wheels are stock 16 Inch BBS BMW rims. They were put on by BMW's rim dealer just after the purchase of the car in 1994. I also replaced one of them and when I did they checked all the rims and gave them a 100% seal of approval.

It isnt balance as they have been balanced and re-checked twice by BMW. Balance is fine.

Could it be the wheel spacers??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast