GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Scan cost comparison

Default Scan cost comparison

Hi all,

I had my fault codes scanned yesterday by a BMW dealer. Airbag, ASC and ABS lights were reset. It cost me roughly $40. What do you pay for similar service at your dealers?

Nzimiro

Default I pay nothing

I bought a PEAKE fault code finder for $ 150 and that goes handy into the glove box.
    Just connect to the DIS socket, push a button and I have the result (after checking the numbers in the tester with the manual). In addition it can reset codes, reset oil service and service interval, and with an addiditional unit also reset the SRS.
    http://www.peakeresearch.com
    Same unit one can buy from bavauto.com under the bavauto brand.

In addition I have a diagnosis interface to make my own checking.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    I bought a PEAKE fault code finder for $ 150 and that goes handy into the glove box.
    Just connect to the DIS socket, push a button and I have the result (after checking the numbers in the tester with the manual). In addition it can reset codes, reset oil service and service interval, and with an addiditional unit also reset the SRS.
    http://www.peakeresearch.com
    Same unit one can buy from bavauto.com under the bavauto brand.

In addition I have a diagnosis interface to make my own checking.
    Thanks, Shogun. I did not have the Peak fault code finder and the airbag light was really upsetting me. Will order the whole lot pretty soon.

Default you'll find that the peake airbag reset tool won't work for a lot of the

e34s,e32s and e31's I ordered one and it wouldn't work on any that i tried. I sent it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzimiro
    Thanks, Shogun. I did not have the Peak fault code finder and the airbag light was really upsetting me. Will order the whole lot pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    e34s,e32s and e31's I ordered one and it wouldn't work on any that i tried. I sent it back.
    So what handy tool will you recommend ?

Default if you have a 1993 or 94 a PEAKE is still o.k.

I do not have the airbag resetting thingy, as I do not have one. The PEAKE is still o.k.
    In my case the car is from 11/88. That is in the early stage of the diagnosis system (I think OBDI). I can get 17 different fault indications because of the early built year. Plus fault code reset, oil service and service interval reset.
    The later the car is built, the more fault one can get out of the system.
    So with a 1993 or 1994 model you will get at least 30 faults indicated as far as I remember. Would have to check in the PEAKE manual for details.
    So you can easily calculate: how much is a fault diagnosis at the dealer or when you have trouble? $ 150 is easily repaid. Besides that is helps a lot if you have that in the car or at home, just of you want to check something or just want to make a fault code reset.

The PEAKE has following disadvantage:
    -works only on engine management related matters, not on the ZKE (central chassis electr., such as microswitches in doors, sunroof motor, stepper motors etc ).
    -the older your car is, the less codes are possible to find. On my 1988 I can only get 17 codes.

advantage: handy, (fits in glovebox and can be kept there all time), easy to plug in. Good in case of emergency when car has breakdown. It shows you in the right direction what to be checked.

The software thing (diagnosis interface) controls also the whole ZKE (central body electric system) such as door locks, stepper motors etc.
    The original Carsoft is expensive (but it is worth each cent for a professional) for a DIYer who might need it only a few times a year, as for the copies offered on the internet I do not want to comment.

For a backyard mechanic the PEAKE is sufficient in my opinion.

On the last BMW E32 meeting here in Tokyo I checked with the PEAKE abt. 15 E32 on a parking lot on the highway around midnight on a weekend
    I am the only one here in Tokyo I know, who has one purchased from the USA.
    The guys are happy that I do them this favour.

As you live in Nigeria, this tool will help you a lot, as I believe there are not that many skilled technicians and also not many BMW service garages all over the country.

If you want to go to the diagnosis interface, that is another possibility but needs more training. With the PEAKE you cannot make anything wrong. You just plug it in, and you even cannot plug it in the wrong way, as there is a "guide nose" in the diagnosis box.
    Most of the interfaces do come without a plug for the DIS (I have it with a modified plug) and just single wires. If you plug these wires on the wrong pin, you might have a costly repair necessary on the ECU's.

Last edited by shogun; 01-27-2005 at 02:38 AM.