GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have we gotten any e34 blizzard driving stories yet?

Default Have we gotten any e34 blizzard driving stories yet?

Man, I'm just picturing me with snowchains on the 540i, doin' my dukes of hazzard routine. If I could get it out my garage that is.

Tough looking storm though-white hurricane. So, anyone had their e34 out yet who is in blizzard country? Do tell.
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

I left Cleveland on Friday before that storm hit the midwest. Glad I did, too.

Fritz fishtails in the snow, and the ABS gets to be a PITA - activates all the time on even the most minutely snow/slush covered roads.

The weather was nice enough today in NC to wash off all of the nasty salt residue. Amen.

oh yeah - and because the car is lowered, I can forget about driving in anything more than a few inches of the stuff.

broke mine out after a storm here in Michigan, snow measured 8" and the front of the car measures 5". It was Saturday, 3 beers in the fridge and 5 smokes left, a despirate scenereo indeed! I figured id go for a "drive" in the countryside with my son Sal, he was all into this adventure indeed. I did plow through the drive (only took 3 tries) onto the frozen mud road but with the front so chopped it was like driving into one of them snow making machines at a ski resort, couldnt see squat. Wipers on fast speed I made it up and out onto the main road which was at least packed below 5 inches (apparently). The drive itself wasn't that adventurous with the new snow treads...they absolutly rock for 60 bux each. The ride back was easier since I had a plowed trail from my own car and made it home without a hitch.

However, the next day on the way to take my son to the police station to meet his mother there was a buildup of snow in the rims which made the first 25 miles umbearable, felt like I went to Discount tire for new tires again. After sitting a while in an area without wind the snow got softer to the point that I pushed it off the backside of the rims with a spare hose in my emergancy tools box. The ride was silky again...ahhhh.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by tim
    Man, I'm just picturing me with snowchains on the 540i, doin' my dukes of hazzard routine. If I could get it out my garage that is.

Tough looking storm though-white hurricane. So, anyone had their e34 out yet who is in blizzard country? Do tell.
    Eh, a picture is worth a thousand words. If I have to dig out another car ever it will be too soon. It was pretty when it came down :-) I am glad I am tall, but I can barely see over most of the snow drifts.

<Insert list of modifcations or clever saying here>

I left Boston to head back to the Philly area on Saturday morning around 8:20AM. I hit the snow just after 12:00 PM. The NJ Turnpike wasn't the speedway it usually is. 20-40MPH the rest of the trip.
    If I hadn't taken those DayQuils on an empty stomach at 5:00AM then I would have gotten out early and beat the snow.

Dayamn Rory - you guys did get battered up there. With chips!

We were not in any of our (dearly departed) e34's, but last Friday morning found me, the wife, and the two lil'uns in Walt Disney World in Jen's Quest, with plans to leave Saturday and drive back to NY. A few checks of the weather told me that schedule would leave us stranded somewhere around DC in about a foot of snow.

So Friday night, after dinner, we loaded up the kids and hit the road. I knew we had to get to at least the front of the storm if we had any hope of getting home. Jen's car has 28K miles on it's Good-fer-a-Year LS's; while it's a fairly heavy booger, it's NOT rigged for heavy snow. So I decided this was the trip on which I would risk a speeding ticket. We set the cruise at 80+, stopped only for gas, and made the DC area in 11 hours flat. We flew through the Carolina's, and I want to send a hearty "Thanks for not stopping me" to the State Troopers down that-a-ways.

We were in snow from DC north, and what is normally a 5 hour drive from DC took 9 hours. Just the last 100 miles took about 4.5 hours. Getting over the mountains into my hometown I could practically feel my ass grabbing at the road surface, and finding no traction. But we made it home unscathed. We saw 36 cars spun into the retaining walls with damage, another 10 or so out in the shoulders and medians with no damage (and in need of a tow truck), and somehow avoided a spinning 200sx/greyhound bus incident in the lane next to us.

Had we waited another 12 hours for our departure? Not good. We ended up with 17 inches at our house. Nothing like what Rory got, but substantial to say the least. The amazing thing was coming up Rt 17 in NJ - the parking lots at places like Home Depot were packed. What the F were those people doing out and about in that sort of snow??? (well, maybe finally buying that snowblower they'd been waiting on?)

And next year, when Jen says "No, I don't need snow tires, I'll just stay home if the weather is bad," her decision will get over-ridden!
    --Micah O'C
    '17 M2 6MT, Mineral Grey
    '04 330i ZHP
    '88 M5 2791445
    '92 M5T BL01001
    formerly '90 535iM, '92 525iT

Default Boy, with these snow stories i feel positively inadequate, with all the

boring regularity of driving here stry enough i fell like I'm missing out on
    something not being up there in snow country..... I don't feel it bad enough to want to be there though...but I'm certain you're driving skills are way better than mine since you guys get to be out in that stuff all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by MicahO
    Dayamn Rory - you guys did get battered up there. With chips!

We were not in any of our (dearly departed) e34's, but last Friday morning found me, the wife, and the two lil'uns in Walt Disney World in Jen's Quest, with plans to leave Saturday and drive back to NY. A few checks of the weather told me that schedule would leave us stranded somewhere around DC in about a foot of snow.

So Friday night, after dinner, we loaded up the kids and hit the road. I knew we had to get to at least the front of the storm if we had any hope of getting home. Jen's car has 28K miles on it's Good-fer-a-Year LS's; while it's a fairly heavy booger, it's NOT rigged for heavy snow. So I decided this was the trip on which I would risk a speeding ticket. We set the cruise at 80+, stopped only for gas, and made the DC area in 11 hours flat. We flew through the Carolina's, and I want to send a hearty "Thanks for not stopping me" to the State Troopers down that-a-ways.

We were in snow from DC north, and what is normally a 5 hour drive from DC took 9 hours. Just the last 100 miles took about 4.5 hours. Getting over the mountains into my hometown I could practically feel my ass grabbing at the road surface, and finding no traction. But we made it home unscathed. We saw 36 cars spun into the retaining walls with damage, another 10 or so out in the shoulders and medians with no damage (and in need of a tow truck), and somehow avoided a spinning 200sx/greyhound bus incident in the lane next to us.

Had we waited another 12 hours for our departure? Not good. We ended up with 17 inches at our house. Nothing like what Rory got, but substantial to say the least. The amazing thing was coming up Rt 17 in NJ - the parking lots at places like Home Depot were packed. What the F were those people doing out and about in that sort of snow??? (well, maybe finally buying that snowblower they'd been waiting on?)

And next year, when Jen says "No, I don't need snow tires, I'll just stay home if the weather is bad," her decision will get over-ridden!

Default Yeah, I had my fill with blizzards when...

I lived in No VA. I was unfortunate enough to experience the Washington DC area blizzard of '94/'95. Spin zone had declared liberal leave for government employees... basically, the government had shutdown. Even the snowplows couldn't keep up with the massive downpour of snow and to top it off, there was a shortage of salt. Now on the opposite end of the spectrum, living in SoCal is a much different story...

Default Got 2 feet at my place.

I didn't venture out until it was done. Studded snows, full tank of gas, and a 50 pound bag of salt in the trunk. ASC was working overtime but the combination was unstoppable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast