GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 100W headlight relay?

Default 100W headlight relay?

I was surfing around pelican parts website and saw a 100 Watt relay to upgrade the stock relay. Is this correct? Can you replace the stock relay and run 100 Watt bulbs in the headlights without frying the wiring?

Default the simple answer is no, reflectors will fry

some time ago I showed pictures here with my old reflectors, after I used H1 100W socalled rally bulbs for some days only, wich are only allowed actually off road.
    Nice bubles inside, even the wire rubber melted and on the right side the whole wire inside the connetcor cap fell of as it was completely fried.

These reflectors are made of plastic with a thin chrome coating. There is no real air circulation sinside the headlights of the E34 and E32 and also the E30.

Just forget about that idea.
    Other models have metal reflectors and a good airation for cooling inside the lights.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    some time ago I showed pictures here with my old reflectors, after I used H1 100W socalled rally bulbs for some days only, wich are only allowed actually off road.
    Nice bubles inside, even the wire rubber melted and on the right side the whole wire inside the connetcor cap fell of as it was completely fried.

These reflectors are made of plastic with a thin chrome coating. There is no real air circulation sinside the headlights of the E34 and E32 and also the E30.

Just forget about that idea.
    Other models have metal reflectors and a good airation for cooling inside the lights.
    so what is the max wattage that we can logically use for an e34? i was planning to go to 100w until i saw this thread

thanks!

Default if you want to test it, go over to 85W or so

but I will not do it anymore. I have now H1 55W with 50% more brightness, cleaned the reflectors nicely and that is enough.
    I also have tried H1 55W 6.500K from a supplier from the U.K., also o.k., but 6.500 K is basically only a reference to the colour of the light, yellow, white, blue and all in between.
    Here some pics of the 100W damages

bare wires

after cleaning headlights and installing H1 55W4.500K with about 50% more brightness

I guess that US spec headlights use different bulbs than euro spec headlights. I have 9006/9005 in the headlights. I have seen that there is a way to use the bulb from the high beam in the low beam. Is there better way to get more light or is that the best way to do a safe low beam light upgrade? Also, is there a way to get more light out of the fog lights?

Default Hmmmh, H1 Xenon upgrade?

Someone from the German 7 series board just bought for his E32 this set with 10.000K for EURO 242,- = approx. 280 US $ I assume.
    He will make pics later, I asked him, but will take time till he gets them and installs.

click

Quote Originally Posted by spddmn713
    I was surfing around pelican parts website and saw a 100 Watt relay to upgrade the stock relay. Is this correct? Can you replace the stock relay and run 100 Watt bulbs in the headlights without frying the wiring?

If you want more lumens, use HID... don't induce MORE head into your headlights, unless of course you like engine fires.