GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone install a satellite add-on radio in their E34?

Default Anyone install a satellite add-on radio in their E34?

Hi,
    I'm looking to install a XM or Sirius (have not decided yet) add-on satellite radio in the 535i.
    By "add-on", I mean not a new satellite radio head-unit but a cigarette lighter-powered unit w/ FM modulation.
    I want to get one unit that I can use both in the car and at home. It basically means that I have to have a tuner/display in one, along with a cradle, and the cradle would be installed in the car (car kit), and another one at home (home kit).

Does anyone here have a satelite radio (all opinions welcome on types, and everything) and/or a possible install in their E34 w/ some pictures?

I think I would like to remove my (or modify) my ashtray and keep the SR unit there. What do you think?

TIA,
    -Kamil

Default Funny you should post this...

I am thinking of doing exactly the same thing. I will be watching this thread to see is any others have done this.
    BigezVol

1991 525i, 106k, EAT

Default w/regards to antenna

you can mount it inside the car on the rear shelf so as not to have one of those big black plastic things ruin the lines of the E34. I have seen this done before, I have a sirius head unit and i'm contemplating this myself. I spend about 2.5 hrs in the car everyday.... it seems like it could be worth it, regular radio sucks (too many commercials)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigezvol
    I am thinking of doing exactly the same thing. I will be watching this thread to see is any others have done this.

funny i was going to do the same thing but after doing some research it seemed like there was no way to install it and have it look neat. I really dont want to have wires hanging to my cig lighter and all. If you figure a way to install neat with no hanging wires please post
    No matter where you go, there you are...

Quote Originally Posted by TETSUO
    funny i was going to do the same thing but after doing some research it seemed like there was no way to install it and have it look neat. I really dont want to have wires hanging to my cig lighter and all. If you figure a way to install neat with no hanging wires please post
    Hopefully within the next month.

Default Have been looking into it myself....

The Sirius site has some interesting head units, but i didn't know what was involved in changing... didn't want any wires or anything hanging out of the radio?
    Believe it will be available up here soon (Canada), if not already.
    Gordon Lawson
    Niagara on the Lake
    Ont., Canada
    1989 535i 5speed "Eat'n"

Quote Originally Posted by gordon
    The Sirius site has some interesting head units, but i didn't know what was involved in changing... didn't want any wires or anything hanging out of the radio?
    Believe it will be available up here soon (Canada), if not already.
    Not available in Canada yet.
    Crutchfield's sire seems to have the most detail write-up on each available unit.
    http://tinyurl.com/ytfaq

As far as units that are both home and car friendly, the Clarion SIRPNP (Sirius) seems to be most promising: http://tinyurl.com/2k5mx
    I saw the JVC unit at BestBuy and it is definetly bulky. I'm also going in the way of XM radio now, so I might want to skip this.

There's the original Kenwood, and it has the best chance of fitting where the ashtray is http://tinyurl.com/24m4h

With all of these, there's a cradle that is mounted and the unit goes into. The cradle is then wired to the antenna, the FM modulator or aux input, and power.
    Power is tricky, as some units require 6v, and the "power supply" unit is in the cirarette lighter part. In either way, it should not be too difficult to take apart and run some wires to it.

Either way... I'm rambling on...

Installed a Sirius ready clarion head unit about a month ago. A really nice low/mid-priced unit that goes well with the interior. I have the Sirius reciever between the seats as I couldn't come up with a clever way to mount it. Its kind of bulky and difficult to deal with. Satelllite radio is the way to go, I havent't hardly used the CD.

The Delphi unit had a remote control. I was giving thought to mounting it unde the glove compartment. I am not super intersted in reading the display, I just want to hear th emusic and not have something else to interfere with the shifter.

I have head that the sound quality is sub fm quality. Anyone know otherwise ?
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

I've ordered:
    Clarion SIRPNP Sirius receiver and home and car kits.
    http://tinyurl.com/244w7

$200 - $50 mail-in-rebate = $150.
    I'll be doing the month-to-month at 12.95.
    Able to listen to it in the car, at home and at work via internet feed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast