GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1995 M50 becoming harder to start

Default 1995 M50 becoming harder to start

Hi all,

I was active on the board a while back but have gotten away from it. Many of you may not even recognize my name....

I have '95 M50. It's a great car. But, I've noticed that it is becoming harder to start. It starts pretty well in the morning, but if I go out at noon to go somewhere, it takes a fair bit of cranking to get it going. Once it's started, it runs perfectly.

It's strange - it starts fine if the engine is completely cold or has been run within an hour or so. Otherwise, it takes 4-5 seconds of cranking. It used to only take a half-second or so.

Any thoughts on what's going on?

Thx,
    Chris I.
    1995 525ia

Starting problems are usually electrical but from the symptoms you are describing it sounds like the fuel accumulator piston spring could be weak or getting stuck, and the fuel pump is having to crank up the pressure before starting.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerscorner
    Starting problems are usually electrical but from the symptoms you are describing it sounds like the fuel accumulator piston spring could be weak or getting stuck, and the fuel pump is having to crank up the pressure before starting.

It's probably not the fuel pump, it is more likely to be the Fuel Pressure Regulator

Default I don't think so, I think it probably is the pump check valve and I would install the

bmw inline check valve to get rid of the problem for about 3.00

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    It's probably not the fuel pump, it is more likely to be the Fuel Pressure Regulator

Bill R, was wondering if you could do me a big favor and post the installation instructions for this part, or just briefly describe the installation instructions. i tried to install my TIS on my garbage can computer, but due to an unknown service pack modification, i can not get it to take. thanks.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."