GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Power steering hoses and pump

Default Power steering hoses and pump

My p/s pump is about gone , the steering wheel is really hard to move when the car is cold and the hoses are leaking , there is not enough room to see wich hoses are leaking so i'm plannig on replacing them all . Has anybody ever done this it looks like is very tedious work, any pointers on how to do it and the cheapest place to get the hoses and pump?

It's really not bad at all. What part were you worried about? You could buy you own parts and take it to a local independent. Try BMA. Tell Patrick what you're doing and he'll give you everything necessary. No more than 2 units labor involved IMHO, more like one, but it doesn't bill like that. Use good hose clamps, not the bmw ones, and get some shielding around the hoses where they pass by the short block.

BTW,

it's been cold lately. when's the last time you changed your fluid and multirib belt? If it's 10 below and you have old fluid that's absorbed moisture, that doesn't mean your pump is a definite goner. I think your's takes CHF11, but look at the cap. You could get away with mobil1 ATF for awhile if the CHF is out of the question where you are, just don't mix.
    Last edited by tim; 01-21-2005 at 06:33 PM.
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

M60's are hard to do, as i've heard. i'm getting ready to do my hoses but i'm scared. theres a hugeee post a while ago back about those and motor mounts on an m60. search for engine mounts and m60 and you'll probably find it, its got an excellent set of inbstructions for doing the hoses. i can't even imagine how to reach the steering box, i can't see it from under the car period. =\

i'm thinking i'll have to take the cooling fan p/s pump and alternator out ,unbolt the motor mounts and raise the engine a bit with a floor jack to be able to get to the hoses on the steering box, the ones on the pump and the cooling pipes don't look too hard to get to. If anybody has and easier way to do it please let me know