GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microfilter change -- I think I've been scammed

Default Microfilter change -- I think I've been scammed

My car has had that "can't open glove box" issue for a few weeks now and I have not had the time to work on it using the rest of the suggestions in a earlier thread here.

So, yesterday I had it in for Inspection II, and forgot to mention the glove box jam. I confirmed when I picked it up (just to make sure) that the microfilter had been changed.

So, I go to open the glove box this morning -- because as far as I know, the only way to replace the MF on this car is to remove it -- and it's still jammed shut!

I find it hard to believe it would be jammed shut again! So now I'm looking at how to approach this with the shop, without accusing them outright of not changing it.

Ideas??
    ...Bill

Be nice!

Ask them, "Please show me how to open my glove box".

first I would just ask them politely and then when they tell you yes, tell them about the glove box scenereo and then ask how did they do it without opening it? Then if they still insist they did tell them that you will be mighty pissed off if they didnt!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Might be they did it without opening the glove box

I have never done it, because my car was built before the microfilter was introduced.
    But had the same experience that the shop here had the microfilter on the invoice, when I had the car there for a service at a special price offer (usually I do all DIY).
    Sent my wife there, she asked them if they can show here where the microfilter is installed in a 1988 E32, we would be glad to pay for it.

Was deducted red-faced. Turned out to be a mistake in the office where the invoices are made. They had for this a form sheet and just did a copy and paste for the invoice of my car.

here is the 'usual' way how to replace it. Maybe this official paper from BMW helps you.

you aint the only one, i am in the middle of installing a replacement head on a 90 525im, the owner bought from us a t-belt and tensioner about a month ago and took them to his mechanic to install, i guess he got ****ed cause it just ate the belt and destroyed the head (popped a rocker tower) and the belt looks old as the hills and is sheading teeth the tensioner is also broken (helped kill the belt, but it wouldn't of made the summer from the looks of it)

Quote Originally Posted by DallasBill
    I find it hard to believe it would be jammed shut again! So now I'm looking at how to approach this with the shop, without accusing them outright of not changing it.

Ideas??
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Tell them they must have broken the glovebox when they took it out to replace the microfilter...

Dan, your the man, I like that idea the best!!!!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default I LOVE it!

Telling 'em they must have broke the glove box is priceless!
    Because if they say they didn't -- it was already like that and they did not do it -- means they didn't change the filter!

I'll report back Monday!

Cheers!
    ...Bill

ahhhh done and runs like a champ, even with 233,956 miles on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    i am in the middle of installing a replacement head on a 90 525im,
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Ok... here's where we are now...

Shop mechanic acknowledges that the glove box was jammed when I came in and they did not attempt to open it.

Shop also says that the microfilter can be replaced w/o removing the glovebox... just remove the panel behind it and the carpeted piece screwed on the upper footwell.

I have never done this -- and do not have my Bentley here at the office -- so can someone please clarify this? Everytime I have had this replaced, they have removed the glovebox. Bruno's site external link to the detailed procedure is now broken/gone.

Am I now being fed a line??
    ...Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast