GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the E34 world with questions

Default New to the E34 world with questions

Good evening all,

I an new to the e34 world, but I have been close to the e12 FirstFives bunch for several years. The cars in our stable include:
    1979 528i, 198k miles
    1998 740il, 65k miles (so nice it scares me)
    and the new 535i, 5speed, lowered, bilsteins, chipped, 144k miles

It seems my flywheel on the 535i has the "famous" dual mass rattle. What are the chances that an e12 flywheel/clutch set will work? I have read that people use e28 flywheels and clutch sets. I just so happened to have a good 1979 528i flywheel and nearly new clutch set. Does the e12 flywheel have Motronic / timing pick up points problems?

I have an ittermittant coolant leak at the heater valve/aux water pump area. I cann't seem to narrow the leak down. Is one component more that likely to leak over the other one?

Thank for the help,
    Chris

no flywheel pick up's on the e34 it's on the front of the motor, usually the leak by the valves is the aux water pump under the valves has cracked

Quote Originally Posted by duckloads
    It seems my flywheel on the 535i has the "famous" dual mass rattle. What are the chances that an e12 flywheel/clutch set will work? I have read that people use e28 flywheels and clutch sets. I just so happened to have a good 1979 528i flywheel and nearly new clutch set. Does the e12 flywheel have Motronic / timing pick up points problems?

I have an ittermittant coolant leak at the heater valve/aux water pump area. I cann't seem to narrow the leak down. Is one component more that likely to leak over the other one?

Thank for the help,
    Chris
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Welcome Chris

I hope you deducted this off of Jeff''s asking price. Get the leak solved first.
    If it is the aux. water pump it can fail in a hurry. I just noticed seepage from mine. Parts on order from BMA. Car parked until repair complete and snow gone.
    Will Ollison
    1990 535i
    1981 528i(87K)
    1975 2002

Hi Will,

Hey, another FirstFiver. The strangest people show up in the strangest places. Jeff was honest about the car, and after I had the paint buffed and waxed, I MIGHT have gotten a bit more car than I paid for. It cleaned up real nice.

I got a cheap flight to his town and drove back 8 hrs (460 miles). The longer I spent in the car the more I liked it. My adventures have been few and far between lately, and that trip was a great escape.

About the aux water pump...crap just happens. I would sure like to put the e12 flywheel and clutch set in the car, because it's free (I would have to remove it from the parts car), and the rattle at idle is a little annoying.

Good day,
    Chris In Huntsville

No Jeff, seems to be real nice guy. I'm glad you enjoyed the trip home. These cars were made for highway(high speed) cruising. As far as the clutch, I'm sure some more serious wrench hands(Winfred must have been tired) will speak up. LOL.
    Email me anytime I can help. I've got a connection in Europe for lighting and such. Plus I will have few left over performance goody add ons when I receive everyting that I have ordered recently.
    Willo

The E12 flywheel...you said it's from a 528i? Is that an M30 or M20-based engine? I don't know E12s. If it's an M20-based engine, it probably won't work. Otherwise you should be fine.

Be warned, though...I've been reading a lot of the archives lately on this subject, and there's a good chance that you will still have some rattling....but from the tranny now, rather than the flywheel.

Chris -

Where did you buy this car (just curious -- was it in North Carolina?)?

I think I've got the same leak as you - one or two drips of coolant appear underneath the heater valve on occasion...landing on what I assume is some extension of the brake bomb. I just replaced the coolant return line; I'm assuming that lifting up on the heater valve to replace the line cracked something.

...anyone know if the described occasional dripping is an indication of the aux pump? I just assumed the heater valve body had cracked, but couldn't locate any fissure on it..I have to stick a mirror down there to see it. What are the consequences of driving with it for about 500 miles (other than the insubstantial loss of coolant?)?

best, whit

Default As seen here the dual mass flywheel serves a number of functions and the

rattle you hear on shutdown is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by duckloads
    Good evening all,

I an new to the e34 world, but I have been close to the e12 FirstFives bunch for several years. The cars in our stable include:
    1979 528i, 198k miles
    1998 740il, 65k miles (so nice it scares me)
    and the new 535i, 5speed, lowered, bilsteins, chipped, 144k miles

Thank for the help,
    Chris

Yep, near Charlotte, NC. Real nice town.

i put together a package a couple years ago for a good customer with a 92 535 using a e12 flywheel, i think i ordered a e28 535 clutch kit for it, can't quite remember
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast