GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My car HATES the cold!

Default My car HATES the cold!

Let me start off by saying I'm Mike and hello, I have been reading on here for about 5 months. I own a 1990 535i (manual ofcourse )and have had it for about 9 months. I love this car but had some things I wanted to learn about and that's how I came across this site. You guys rock. Straight and simple. Now to my short, confusing, story.

It was a warm 8 degrees in Ma today. I had to run out to drop some stuff off at the post office. I got in my car and pushed in the clutch and turned the key. They engine hesitated to start but succumbed to my will When it started it sounded aweful. Very noisey and something else weird happened. While letting it warm up I took my foot off the clutch and the rpms dropped and seemed like it was going to kill the engine. So I then press the clutch to keep the car from dying and sure enough the rpms go back up. I checked to see if I was a dimwit and had it in gear. Not likely but possible. Nope. In neutral but just to make sure I double checked and wiggled it and set it back in neutral. I let off the clutch again and same thing. Now just for the heck of it I released the parking brake and tried again. This time in neutral while letting go of the clutch the car rolls forward (it was not rolling before releasing the clutch). Still in bewilderment but needing to go to the post office I drove it and about 1 mile away the car warmed up enough and sounded a lot smoother so I try the clutch in neutral just out of curiosity, no rpm drop, all is normal.
    Oh and one last thing, while driving during cold weather I hear a squeal from the engine. I'm quite sure it's a belt. Any idea which one. Does it need replacing if it squeals or is it normal? Maybe needs tightening or something? I hear other cars do this too while driving. I've done some work on cars but I don't know everything so I thought I'd ask before replacing stuff that doesn't need it. Especially with the part about the car moving in neutral. That beats the hell out of me.

Any idea what's going on?

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. If you don't know that's fine too. It's just an honor to be posting here with you guys. P.S. That EAT chip looks tempting

The squealing could be a loose belt, check them all for proper tension & wear. What are you using for engine oil & tranny fluid?

wrong engine...nevermind.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 01-19-2005 at 11:40 AM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Change your manual tranny fluid

Maybe go with a synthetic ATF.

The squeeling is in all likelyhood a belt...no biggie.
    As for the cold start issues, it's sounds like it's just that: the cold. From your post, it seems like once it was up to temp it was running normally.
    A few weeks back it dipped to 15 degrees here in Atlanta, and my car didn't particularly care for it. It started sluggish, and the clutch pedal was very, very stiff (what's up with that?). After a few minutes all was well (although the clutch was funky until the weather warmed back up a bit).
    There could be some specific cold-start issues that might come into play and need to be adressed, but I'll defer to the masters on this one
    Sean H
    '02 325ci
    '84 318i GTR

ukm5 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch
    Maybe go with a synthetic ATF.
    hows that going to help?? if it rolls off in neutral then its a dodgy gear linkage or faulty tranny keeping it in gear i fail to see how changing the oil will help unless its full of gunk, which considdering its a closed unit if there are any object that are strong enough to stop cogs moving the thing needs overhauling.

Default It all depends on what's in there.

If he's only had it 9 months it could be
    - Old or Original ATF
    - Low ATF
    - Water in ATF
    - Gear oil instead of ATF

Quote Originally Posted by Mass535Love
    Let me start off by saying I'm Mike and hello, I have been reading on here for about 5 months. I own a 1990 535i (manual ofcourse )and have had it for about 9 months. I love this car but had some things I wanted to learn about and that's how I came across this site. You guys rock. Straight and simple. Now to my short, confusing, story.

It was a warm 8 degrees in Ma today. I had to run out to drop some stuff off at the post office. I got in my car and pushed in the clutch and turned the key. They engine hesitated to start but succumbed to my will When it started it sounded aweful. Very noisey and something else weird happened. While letting it warm up I took my foot off the clutch and the rpms dropped and seemed like it was going to kill the engine. So I then press the clutch to keep the car from dying and sure enough the rpms go back up. I checked to see if I was a dimwit and had it in gear. Not likely but possible. Nope. In neutral but just to make sure I double checked and wiggled it and set it back in neutral. I let off the clutch again and same thing. Now just for the heck of it I released the parking brake and tried again. This time in neutral while letting go of the clutch the car rolls forward (it was not rolling before releasing the clutch). Still in bewilderment but needing to go to the post office I drove it and about 1 mile away the car warmed up enough and sounded a lot smoother so I try the clutch in neutral just out of curiosity, no rpm drop, all is normal.
    Oh and one last thing, while driving during cold weather I hear a squeal from the engine. I'm quite sure it's a belt. Any idea which one. Does it need replacing if it squeals or is it normal? Maybe needs tightening or something? I hear other cars do this too while driving. I've done some work on cars but I don't know everything so I thought I'd ask before replacing stuff that doesn't need it. Especially with the part about the car moving in neutral. That beats the hell out of me.

Any idea what's going on?

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. If you don't know that's fine too. It's just an honor to be posting here with you guys. P.S. That EAT chip looks tempting
    Hey Mike,
    I'd just thought I'd put in my two cents since I am in Cambridge and have dealt with this dumb freezing weather the entire time I've had my E34. When it is really cold out, like it was the other day, my car does start up without a problem but you do sometimes have to nurse the throttle a little bit until it settles out. I get the same belt squeal, I have no idea what belt it is, but it goes away as soon as the car warms up even just a little.

I'm afraid I will be of little help otherwise, since I am not particularly mechanically inclined. One thing you might want to consider purchasing is a Bentley Manual for these cars. Interestingly enough, they are published right on Mass Ave in Cambridge (near Porter Sq.) and they are a great investment. I have been able to do several minor repairs using the manual, so it has already paid for itself and then some.

If you are looking for a good indy, Mighty Motors in Sommerville is really good. I have been going to them for about 5 years, and they even serviced my E30 when I had it. In fact, they bought it from me when I bought my E34, and it had nearly 200k on the odometer.

As for the EAT chip, they are great. I have the Jim Conforti and love it. There is an appreciable difference, and not just for those out on the track. Its a lot of bang for your buck. Good luck and let us know what solves it!

Brian

I'm using Havoline 10W30 Synthetic (about 3 months old) and for the Tranny I don't particularly know but I know it's new because I drained it and *cough cough* had to get it towed because the filler cap was seized and I couldn't fill the darn thing lol

I have a Bentley manual and it's the best, next to you guys that is. I look under the hood and see a few belts. I don't have a garage and live in an apt so I don't want to spend a lot of time replacing incorrect belts (especially when I'm not suppose to on the apt property :P ) when it's verrrrry chilly out. If it were warmer I wouldn't mind at all. That's why I was hoping you guys could help me narrow it down. It doesn't seem to squeal until I drive though and it usually stops around 3,000 + RPM.

About the rolling, I'm sure I need the tranny looked at. It's quite stubborn getting into 1st and 2nd when the car is cold and goes in fairly nice when warm. The previous owner used the car and that's it. Seems very little maintenence was done. But it's mine now and look forward to getting this thing all shined up

Quote Originally Posted by Mass535Love
    I'm using Havoline 10W30 Synthetic (about 3 months old) and for the Tranny I don't particularly know but I know it's new because I drained it and *cough cough* had to get it towed because the filler cap was seized and I couldn't fill the darn thing lol

I have a Bentley manual and it's the best, next to you guys that is. I look under the hood and see a few belts. I don't have a garage and live in an apt so I don't want to spend a lot of time replacing incorrect belts (especially when I'm not suppose to on the apt property :P ) when it's verrrrry chilly out. If it were warmer I wouldn't mind at all. That's why I was hoping you guys could help me narrow it down. It doesn't seem to squeal until I drive though and it usually stops around 3,000 + RPM.

About the rolling, I'm sure I need the tranny looked at. It's quite stubborn getting into 1st and 2nd when the car is cold and goes in fairly nice when warm. The previous owner used the car and that's it. Seems very little maintenence was done. But it's mine now and look forward to getting this thing all shined up
    I am living in this frozen tundra called Brookline myself at the moment. This is my second winter so I am also getting used to it. I highly recommend Mobil1 D4ATF in the tranny or Redline. I run Redline and my 5 shifts the same when it is 8 degrees as it does when it is 72 (does that ever happen?). In the past I had good experience in poor shifting and grinding cars with a switch. It probably won't cure your problem but will help it and add protection. For Oil, I recommend you buy a quart of Mobil 1 and a quart of Havoline. Pour each into a cup and cover with saran and place outside overnight when it is really cold. The next morning play with each glass and pour it out. Which one do you really want in your engine to proctect? It is kind of a fun little project. As for the squealing it is either a bad belt (main drive most likely) or it needs to be properly tensioned. Easy to do with loosening a bolt or two and moving the belt, but kinda hard when it is really cold out as your fingers freeze. If you ever need a little help working on your car just shoot me a note. My condo does not have a garage either so I am in the same boat. But I will occasionally do work outside in the cold, I changed my T-stat out a week and a half ago when it was a balmy 30 degrees. Being from the south, I much prefer to hold out till it warms up.

Good Luck,
    Rory

<Insert list of modifcations or clever saying here>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast