GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: How hard to remove hood insulation?

Default How hard to remove hood insulation?

My wiper washer supply hose is leaking and must be replaced and my hood insulation looks pretty bad like it will fall apart if I mess with it. Do the plastic plugs that hold it in place just pull out? Is it going to disintegrate upon removal?
    thanks
    b
    90 535

Default Easy! Just turn out like a normal screw (lots of them)- some might be stubborn.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by billy in slo
    My wiper washer supply hose is leaking and must be replaced and my hood insulation looks pretty bad like it will fall apart if I mess with it. Do the plastic plugs that hold it in place just pull out? Is it going to disintegrate upon removal?
    thanks
    b
    90 535

Default You just give the plugs a quarter or half turn and

when they loosen up they will pull out easily. I had the same problem and all that happened was one of the hose connections had come loose. I worked from the bottom (the front of the hood) and only removed enough of the plastic plugs to let me pull back some of the insulation. After removing enough of the plugs, I esposed the area of the hose that had come loose and simply pushed it back together.

Why do you think you need to replace the hose?

Quote Originally Posted by billy in slo
    thanks
    b
    90 535

Default Upon further reflection, I think that I actually started removing the

plugs from the top of the hood, when it was up and not the bottom. I only had to remove about half of them to find where the hose had come loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Schneiders
    when they loosen up they will pull out easily. I had the same problem and all that happened was one of the hose connections had come loose. I worked from the bottom (the front of the hood) and only removed enough of the plastic plugs to let me pull back some of the insulation. After removing enough of the plugs, I esposed the area of the hose that had come loose and simply pushed it back together.

Why do you think you need to replace the hose?

it could be a connection and not a hose failure but the need to remove the insulation is the same. I will address the hose problem after I expose it. The symptoms are low pressure on the right nozzle and no pressure on the left nozzle and massive leakage from behind the hood insulation. I thought the fasteners might twist and pull but they have no "slot" or markings on them so I guess I will pull and twist at the same time and go with "feel" for how much force to use. What about the insulation itself, as I said it looks and feels brittle, I probably should just replace it.

I use a small, flat head screw driver to pop the plastic "rivet" out. There may be some quicker way to do it, but I found that my method works pretty well. The plastic nipple on my pass side jet had disintegrated, the driver's side was completely disconnected (although the nipple was fine). The hosing, as well, was good - it's all about the cheap connectors

Whit

nipples are cool!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default the screw design of depends on the built year

For some you need a minus screw driver for others a plus driver.
    Here some nice pics how to disassemble all on a E32 hood.
    Hope that helps.

click here

I was thinking of removing mine just because the one in it now looks horrible Plus to remove a few pounds or so of weight. Is there any bad side effects from leaving it out? If so I'll just replace it instead of leaving it out.

Those dumb connectors come loose all the time. My wiper fluid was drooling out of the nozzles (or nipples, if you prefer), and so I took off the insulation and then reconnected the hose. To make sure it didnt happen again, I placed a zip tie around the connection to clamp it down. Now I have fantastic pressure and am not simply soaking the insulation.