GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Kinda OT and DEF OT: move to bay area?

Default Kinda OT and DEF OT: move to bay area?

I think I may be offered a job in the bay area (on the peninsula in Mountain View) from Philadelphia.
    Of course I have been reading every Cost of Living index that I could find, but I would love to chat with someone who has actually done it or who lives there.
    Also, I want to bring my baby with me so any idea how hard it is to pass the smog test? Will I need to add anything to my car? Are repairs more expensive there?

So..please any of you who are willing to give me some advice

Default Yep, It's Pricey Here

....but I guess it's all relative. Housing in the Bay Are is absolutely unbelievable....totally ridiculous.....hope you will be getting a decent salary.
    I just moved 2 years ago from Hayward (East Bay) out to Manteca in the central valley as housing was actually affordable. The house I moved from was nice, built in 1960 1800 sf 4 br 2ba in the foothills. Bought it 12 years ago for $225k and my ex just sold it for $575k. The house I bought 2 years ago in Manteca is 22 years old, 1600 sf 3 br 2 ba large lot with swimming pool and side access (RV parking) and it was $275k....quite a difference and was definetly worth it. The only drawback it the commute. I drive to San Jose every day....about 75 miles each way and takes about 2 hours..so I'm in my car about 4 hours a day. Glad my 530 is comfortable!

Not sure about repair rates as I can't compare to other parts of the country. As always, the dealer is very pricey, but there are some good Indy's that will work with you. Still, it's better to DIY....and I'm slowly learning. The mechanical stuff isn't so bad, but the electrical is what get's me.

Where in Mt. View might you be? I used to work over there about 4 years ago.

Mark

Default I'll try to help

Quote Originally Posted by Rina120
    I think I may be offered a job in the bay area (on the peninsula in Mountain View) from Philadelphia.
    Of course I have been reading every Cost of Living index that I could find, but I would love to chat with someone who has actually done it or who lives there.
    Also, I want to bring my baby with me so any idea how hard it is to pass the smog test? Will I need to add anything to my car? Are repairs more expensive there?

So..please any of you who are willing to give me some advice
    We live down the coast a'ways in San Luis Obispo, one of the most un-affordable places to live in the country. You pay a steep price for near perfect weather, low crime, beach living etc. I can't afford to live in San Luis and instead live in a bedroom community of 20K about 20 minutes away. I get to drive the bimmer down a beautiful 2-lane road to work and back every day and wouldn't trade it for anything.
    This weekend we took a trip to the snow and had to pass through the San Joaquin valley which was cold and overcast and dreary and caused my wife to remark that she would rather live in the tiniest shack at the coast than a mansion in the valley.
    Granted the bay area is a little different but still similar weather-wise, just a LOT more crowded. I'm sure though that if you dig around you will find smaller communities off the beaten path. Hey, a bi-zillion people can't be wrong!
    Equipment wise, I don't think there is any difference in our cars, a well tuned car with cat and good O2 sensor should pass smog. Shop repairs are always expensive, say 70-85/HR. but the choices in the Bay area are probably better than anywhere in the country and we probably have the highest bimmer per capita ratio in the country.
    Finally, did I mention the weather? 75 today, 77 tomorrow.
    H.T.H.
    billy

freezin ass cold WI formerly freezin ass cold MN

Man, 77 sounds nice. It's snowing and 4 here but I do have 3000 sf 4 bedroom, 4 bath plus a full basement and 3 car garage for $240,000. Those house prices are incredible
    95 540 six speed, Rondell 58 wheels, nothin else special
    79 911 SC - pea soup green

Ya, it's nice. I was lucky and bought my house 20 yr's ago for 95K and have been adding on ever since, now 2200 sf and appraised at 550K but I could never afford it now and I can't afford to sell due to property taxes would go up 500%. (it is based on current market value if you buy now vs. mine which are based on my original sale price plus an annual indexed rate). So I'll just stay put and keep adding on. 3 car garage would be sweet.

Wow! Thanks for all the comments. Yeah I figured I pretty much will NOT own a house up there and it seems the rent is pretty reasonable. I saw one that was oceanside for $1400. That would cost alot more than that if it were here.
    The indy's sound pretty reasonable as well. I haven't gotten the offer, but I am in round two of interviews so it is time to reasonably look into things.
    I'm not sure where in Mountain View. It's for Alza.

I would like to be able to make some money and save it for that day when I do want to buy a house. But being single, it just doesn't make sense (as if I could find something I could pay for anway!)
    Would any of you mind if I contacted you via email if I had any more questions? I suppose my concern is the cost of food and cable, etc. I want it to be a smart decision and not just based on a big raise that won't really matter because things are so expensive.

I've lived in the SF Bay Area on and off for close to 30 years. High school was in Belmont which is about 30 miles north of Mountain View and I now live in Pleasanton which is about 30 miles east of Mountain View. The killer around here is the price of housing. Once you get past that the other costs; food, utilities, etc. are pretty good. The weather is generally great - not too hot and not too cold. San Francisco and all its charms is right up Highway 101, skiing is 4 hours away, the beach is 1 hour away and we have 2 baseball teams/2 football teams/basketball and hockey (they still play that somewhere don't they?). There are wineries galore, sourdough bread and cioppino at the wharf.

Also, Alza is a pretty good place to work. Just about anything Alex Zaffaroni touches (Alexza, Syntex Corporation, ALZA Corporation, DNAX Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Affymax, Affymetrix, SurroMed and Maxygen) turns to gold.

Good luck.

Curt.