GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: sulfur?

Default sulfur?

I’ve smelled an odd smell, possibly sulfur, from the car when I warm up the car in the morning and late afternoon the past few days. Rochester, NY is frigid and temperatures have been near 10 degrees and wind chills at around zero. Never smelled this before. Wondering if there is something wrong with my cats or something else? Thank in advance.

jarome
    '95 525i

Could be the oxy sensors or cats.
    But don't panic. I know thet cats are quite expensive.
    Usually the oxy sensors get quite 'lazy' after a certain time and it is usually recommended to change them at around 60 k miles.

And also do not warm up the car at standstill in idle. Not good for the engine. Immy when the engine is on, start driving in a range between 2000-2.500 RPM if possible.
    The auto trans is even laid out that it switches later into the next higher gear when engine is cold. Advantage, engine gets warmer faster, oil circulation and pressure inside the engine is faster with medium range RPM instead of idle, cats get warmed up faster.
    The oxy sensors by the way can send whatever data to the ECU during the first 90 seconds or so, that does not matter. The ECU is calculating at that time with a set value with richer fuel/air ratio, not the actual data reported by the oxy sensors.

Maybe your cats were not just heated up to normal operating temperature. Drive a little bit longer that all gets to operating temp, and then check again.

thanks. i think i'll try using mobil next.

price of an oxy sensor? easy/hard to replace?

yeah i try driving a bit longer and see what happens.

thanks

Default prices and tool info is here

I guess these are the cheapest ones

click

use premium, no guarantee but it's usually refined a bit more and should have less sulfer in it. What brand were you using? Big NO NO for Nikasil upgrades!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    use premium, no guarantee but it's usually refined a bit more and should have less sulfer in it. What brand were you using? Big NO NO for Nikasil upgrades!
    been using Hess 89. i'm actually going to drive to the mobil station which is about a 5 minute drive when i reach my half point.