GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruno's subframe insert question.

Default Bruno's subframe insert question.

Hey Guys,

I just got my subframe inserts and installed one side. I noticed that after removing the plate, dropping the insert on top of it and then bolting the plate back into place, the insert was able to spin freely in the space between the plate and the subfrme bushing. I was under the imperession that the insert is supposed to "squish" the bushing and therefore tighten it up. Now I am wondering if the "squish" factor only takes place during lateral maneuvers. The car is up on jacks and I am hesitant to tackle the other side without an answer to this. Anyone know what's up with this?

Default Squish answers

When I had mine installed, the plates went right up against the bushings when tightened. I had my bushings replaced the year before though. Tighten them up and the lower the car from the jacks and see how all of it looks then. It should be alright unless your bushings are worn out. You will notice an improvement immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by drum2430
    Hey Guys,

I just got my subframe inserts and installed one side. I noticed that after removing the plate, dropping the insert on top of it and then bolting the plate back into place, the insert was able to spin freely in the space between the plate and the subfrme bushing. I was under the imperession that the insert is supposed to "squish" the bushing and therefore tighten it up. Now I am wondering if the "squish" factor only takes place during lateral maneuvers. The car is up on jacks and I am hesitant to tackle the other side without an answer to this. Anyone know what's up with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Black 535i
    When I had mine installed, the plates went right up against the bushings when tightened. I had my bushings replaced the year before though. Tighten them up and the lower the car from the jacks and see how all of it looks then. It should be alright unless your bushings are worn out. You will notice an improvement immediately.
    Hey.

Thanks for the reply. I installed the other side and set the car on the ground. The space closed right up. I am very impressed with the difference in the way the rear end reacts to quick steering inputs. What a great solution. Kudos to Bruno. AGAIN.

Hey, can you guys elaborate on your process of installing the bushing? I dont understand it from the write up on bmwe34.net.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Bruno's site mentions that the inserts may transfer more drivetrain noise from the rear end into the cabin. Did you guys notice this?

Not noticed any extra noise myself, but definitely noticed much better rear-end behaviour. And I had the bushings done at the same time, so I got a double hit! Very progressive on-limit behaviour as well, as I was able to verify on a track earlier this year.

Abslolutely no more drive train noise.

1. Jack up the rear of the car.
    2. Set the subframe down on floor jacks.
    3. Locate the plate that bolts up to the frame. It's about 12 inches long and tapers from about 3" down to 1 1/2" at the small end. It is bolted up in place immediately in front of the rear wheel well.
    4. Take out the bolts and drop the plate.
    5. Drop the insert onto large end of the plate that comes up under the subframe bushing.
    6. Bolt the plate back in place.
    7. Set the car back down.

The whole thing is really fast and easy. Less than 1/2 an hour. I removed and replaced one side completely before touching the other side. There was no movement from the subframe cross member.

Good luck.

G.

Default Delrins and some Kudos and some Ranting

Just got back fom my Indy getting some rountine,subframe insert installation and to the bottom of an oil leak that really has come on after the warm weather went away. They also evaluated the condition of the exhaust aft of the CAT. I already knew that(Poor). The new price for a Supersprint is now either 450.00 or 475.00 for the center pipe and I know I remember 500 for the Muffler. My Indy says and you guys have posted, the same conclusion, that the replacement Cats are good only for a couple of years. How much for OEM at BMA even if they can get one.

Enough aready back to the Delrins, Got by with just the inserts. Feels like I just got new shocks or something. Even with the auto I'm carving up curves with an upgraded kniife. Hats off to Bruno. What a bargain.

Hats off to Mark D also. The Chip is coming on. I'm still making comparisons with the JC, Smoother idle and still seems quicker. JC still no slouch. What a dilema.

Oh and the oil leak, pan gasket. Indy response. All day job.

Oh well I got a lot of money to make and spend before the US Grand Prix.

WillOllison
    1990 535i
    1981 528i
    1975 2002

P. S. Bruno sent me an extra set of Inserts. Hope to sell them here in the States and send him the money. 21.00 including shipping. DC area, we can meet. Email me.

I also have noticed ZERO increase in cabin noise. 4 or 5 thousand miles on mine now, and I'm VERY happy.

For the visual learners here, I took a picture whilst I was installing swaybars today.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast