GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticky front caliper. Should I do the lines too?

Default Sticky front caliper. Should I do the lines too?

I've got a sticky right front brake caliper. I'm going to put in a rebuilt unit, and add some new rotors while I'm in there. Is it worth doing steelbraided brake lines too? Do I need to do front and back? What kind of lines should I use, etc? Any pointers would be appreciated.

/R

personally i would go with new rubber lines, i've herd too many storys of braded lines on street cars breaking where they enter the fitting after a few years, race cars lines generally get replaced every season so it's not a issue on them
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by randoms
    I've got a sticky right front brake caliper. I'm going to put in a rebuilt unit, and add some new rotors while I'm in there. Is it worth doing steelbraided brake lines too? Do I need to do front and back? What kind of lines should I use, etc? Any pointers would be appreciated.

/R
    What do you mean by "sticky front brake caliper"? Is it something like feeling something is holding the car still when you step on the gas and then all of a sudden the car lurches forward as if it was released? I have that problem ever so often and was wondering what that was.

Thanks,

-Ray

sometimes a bad collapsed brake hose can lock a caliper
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Ray - a sticky caliper will pull the car to one side when under way. It also will usually make a lot of noise. You usually know when it's happening. The hesitation that you mentioned is probably caused by the trans and/or differential.

lowell, with a sticky caliper its usually not noticable until you hit the brakes, which ever way it pulls is the good side.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Symptoms and signs of my sticky caliper are:
    - rt front pads are only 25% the thickness of the left front pads
    - car pulls to rt just as brakes are applied. Then sort of evens out.
    - There is a barely noticeable grinding sound when braking. I'm not sure where it's coming from but assume it's related to the first two points above.

I guess I should check the lines before I pick everything up from BMA; see if i need new lines.

Is the consensus that one should replace with nice fresh rubber lines?

/Randy

fresh rubber lines, a good bleed of the system, compress the caliper in and out. If the fluid that initially comes out is real dirty/rusty lookin than you need a new caliper.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I had a sticky front caliper that caused massive vibration at the front: of the "oh my god a wheel's loose" variety.

I bought a recon kit (i.e. new seals) and a friend of mine popped the piston out, gave it all a *very* good clean and reassembled. The reason for the problem was that the outer dust seal had been incorrectly fitted some time in the past (possibly an inspection) and dirt had crept in.

It's still perfect over a year later. All of which is a way of saying that I thought I was going to have to go the recon caliper route, but in fact a bit of elbow grease cured it.

Mind you, reassembling the thing was a PITA.

Funny...on mine, it stuck when applying the brakes, and then for a long time thereafter (the caliper got stuck with pressure on the wheel).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast