GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: cam/crank sensor

Default cam/crank sensor

I have a 01 530 i with 45k miles. My check engine light is on and off and the car is hard to crank sometimes and has even stalled after cranking once. My mechanic told me it had a cam sensor code. My question is where is the cam sensor located on the engine? Also is the crank sensor a differant part? and is it in a differant location. Thanks in advance

the cam sensor generally reads off of the timing gear atached to the front of the cam at the front of the motor, that car being a m54 and double vanos probably has two sensors(we are fixing up a 99 528 at the shop to sell and i remember seeing intake and exhaust cam degree readings on my scanner while checking it out the other day) i am guessing the crank sensor is in the same place as the m52 which is in the block by the starter (intake side rear of the motor)

Quote Originally Posted by sterling
    I have a 01 530 i with 45k miles. My check engine light is on and off and the car is hard to crank sometimes and has even stalled after cranking once. My mechanic told me it had a cam sensor code. My question is where is the cam sensor located on the engine? Also is the crank sensor a differant part? and is it in a differant location. Thanks in advance
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it