GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody ever fabricated a muffler for an e34 ?

Default Anybody ever fabricated a muffler for an e34 ?

I know thew way the muffler is shaped on these cars is pretty goofy. Has anyone ever make something using aftermarket pieces ? I had an exhuast made up for my e28 car - but that was a different layout than e34. Any ideas ?
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

flowmaster? those are real heavy and weldable too, dont know if any are small enough to fit in the hole though.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

every non factory type muffler i've seen on a e32/34 has looked/sounded like ****, my answer to cheep larger pipe was to adapt a e32 750il catback, it fits and sounds good, nice deep sound. i posted a few pics for someone else, http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...hlight=playero
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

my 535 when i got it had a flowbastard where the cat was supposed to be and a glasspack where the muffler was supposed to be, it was real shitty sounding, not just loud but loud and bad

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    flowmaster? those are real heavy and weldable too, dont know if any are small enough to fit in the hole though.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

so you think straight pipes are outta the question?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

damn near went deaf test driving a goober friend of the boss's e30 325ic with nothing but two cherry bombs side by side in the back (one for 3 cylinders) i put a short shifter in it and needed to rap it up a little to see if it worked good and with no ac and the windows down had my left ear ringing. i told that douche when he drove it by the shop to show off his new "performance" exhaust it's too ****ing loud and would get old in a week and miserable in two, in two weeks it was quieter it sounds cute at first but that wears off

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    so you think straight pipes are outta the question?

I've read a few exhaust design articles and the difference between having a straight through pipe or a resonator is a factor in what causes the annoying coffee can sounding muffler. Straight through piping is better for say racing purposes but can cause the coffee can syndrome. Also the glass pack/pipe (fiberglass packed) resonator will do the same overtime. The fiberglass is heated and work hardens over time and will give the rattling coffee can sound also.

I love the way Winfred writes. really

A Bimmer Nut for sure: '04 530im (current daily driver), '97 m3, '98 323is, '99 Z3, '01 740iL, '06 330cicm zhp, '02 R1150R, '69 r60, Owner/Operator of www.Bimmer.info and www.BimmerNut.com
    And I still maintain: '90 535im (sold to daughters best friend, one of my favorite bimmers), '92 525im (daughters other best friend now drives this one).

I did my own 3" system using 2 resonators, 1 cat, and a Gibson muffler with dual tips. Originally I had just the Gibson and the cat, and it was disgustingly loud. So I added one resonator, and it helped, but the second one was what finally made it driveable. It doesn't sound like a rice rocket either, there's more rumble than anything else, but it's still slightly too loud, so in the spring I may redo it in stainless using a different muffler/resonator setup. I don't get any weird looks from other drivers or pedestrians, so I guess it's not THAT loud now

Custom Turbocharged 1991 535iM - 135k mi.

iam only tree and a haf years old

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer Nut Ed
    I love the way Winfred writes. really

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast