GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: M20 Timing Belt

Default M20 Timing Belt

My 90 E34 525i died in the post office parking lot today. It sounds and looks like the timming belt may have broken. The car made it to the parking lot I did my mailing and came out but as I tried to start it sounded real funny like it had no compression. I pulled off the oil fill cap and I could not see the cam moving. I'm wondering if a timming belt failure is a for sure valve and head job. The motor never started or ran after the belt broke, but I did try to start the motor a bunch. The fan was turning so I know the crank was turning. I had it towed back to the house and will make a compression check Sat. to make sure it's the belt. Does a broken belt always mean a bent valve. I can replace the belt myself but don't have tools and shop for a head job. If it's a for head job sure I'll won't waste my time just replacing the belt. Help me out with what I should do?

Johnny B

Count on at least 1 or 2 bent valves. If you're lucky, that's all the damage that was done, and you can get by with having the head redone, then you'll probably be good for another 100k+, as long as you don't break another t-belt.

Don't bother with a compression test, just take the distributor cap off the front of the engine, and see if the distributor rotor turns while trying to crank the engine.

Replacing a head is not TOO tough, if you have some basic mechanical skills you can do it. A good machine shop is a necessity though!!! Post back here or email me directly if you need some encouragement!!

Bret.