GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Buying E34

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Buying E34

I am planning to buy a E34 520I /1990 and would like to know if there is anything special to look out for..what are the weak points etc.. does this car have any rust-traps.??
    The car is clean and looks well maintained but has quite high mileage (270 000kms) and about 3 past owners. It idles evenly and the gearchanges are smooth. On light braking I can feel the pedal pulsing slightly but its OK on hard braking. Discs?

I notice some newer models have a 24V badge on the back.. Is this a totally different engine or just a new head. The car is an auto, any major problems with swapping to a manual trans?

Thanks/Anil

Hopefully some 520i owners will post some advice -we didn't get the 520i E34 in the US. Here's some links to Bruno's website that you might find helpful.
    http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main.htm
    http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/troubl...will_break.htm
    The vibration could be the discs or worn suspension components. With high miles/numerous owners I would be wanting to see a book full of maintenance records and receipts. The E34 is a solid car but expensive to own when maintenance has been ignored, or you have most of the work done by an independent mechanic or (God forbid) the stealer (dealer).
    Hope this helps.

Don't waste your time buying an automatic if you want a manual - just buy the manual version from the outset and you'll not only save yourself a lot of money, but be a lot happier in the long run. I don't need to go on with the positives...

Plus, in markets where they sell the 520i, e34's are cheap (in comparison to what you'd pay for the equivalent in the USA). I hear you can pick up a pristine euro e34 M5 for about 13k USD in the UK -- here, that'd be $25k++ easily. Get a 535 if you can swing it.

If you buy that 520 (or any auto e34 for that matter), be sure that the tranny has been babied - 20/30k miles fluid/filter change.

Good luck, matey.

Lowell

Default Sample the radiator

Quote Originally Posted by anilv
    I am planning to buy a E34 520I /1990 and would like to know if there is anything special to look out for..what are the weak points etc.. does this car have any rust-traps.??
    The car is clean and looks well maintained but has quite high mileage (270 000kms) and about 3 past owners. It idles evenly and the gearchanges are smooth. On light braking I can feel the pedal pulsing slightly but its OK on hard braking. Discs?

I notice some newer models have a 24V badge on the back.. Is this a totally different engine or just a new head. The car is an auto, any major problems with swapping to a manual trans?

Thanks/Anil

Any car I buy from now on I'm draining some coolant from the radiator. It could have saved me alot of work.

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/rot535i/Found