GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Injector Cleaner, Carbon remover?

Default Injector Cleaner, Carbon remover?

I just replaced an engine in a car I recently purchased and want to prevent what I found in the engine I had to replace. The intake and valve areas were full of soot. see photo. I'm looking for recommendations. Injector cleaners? Octane boosters? What works?
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images  

i might get flamed for sayin' this, buuuuttt.....i find that the only FI injector that does anything noticeable in one tank is bg44k, which is around 15 per can. this isn't worth the cost for me. i find that techron, redline (&c, &c.) arent worth the money if they are used in the manner prescribed in the bottle. my personal cleanliness routine? get the cheapest 3k mile fuel injector cleaner (not the "use every other tank stuff) from walmart, for about 1.50 each. buy three of them. toss them in just before the reserve light comes on. run it to the brink of running out of fuel, doing italian tuneups the way through. repeat several times, remembering that you will have to change your oil soon after. i personally don't bother using techron anymore unless i can afford to buy two or three bottles to dump in at the same time. my mother, who notices nothing automotive, noted that she was getting a lot better gas mileage after i put two bottles of techron in and flogged it for 40 miles or so. i wouldn't do this in anything with a suspect/leaky fuel system though, would probably eat the rubber out. i drive about 900 miles per week in the e34, i do this every other tank when i get close to an oil change. i've spent too much money on these solutions in other cars not to come to the conclusion i've arrived at, its quantity, not the quality of the cleaner you put in that gets the actual cleaning done.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

looks like its burning quite a bit of oil.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I avoid the discount gas places and stick to one big name Company, Even though I know that in my area the all gas comes from the same two refineries. It comes down to the additives and detergents used by the big name gas companies that are often not in the discount stuff.

I also throw in a bottle of whatever injector cleaner is on sale a few times a month to help break down any varnish or gum.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Default the hotsoak has made a difference for me....

...used a can of seafoam in the tank and another drank via the intake, rest 5-10 finish the last half.... flog it for 40 or so.... noticable improvement. even going up a hill to work, at 20mph or so I use to get pinging...now I don't... all the places I used to get pinging I don't anymore... I always run chevron 93 and have the EAT chip.... I think I'll do the seafoam hotsoak on the remnants of a tank of gas before oil changes. M50pingmaster. -Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    i might get flamed for sayin' this, buuuuttt.....i find that the only FI injector that does anything noticeable in one tank is bg44k, which is around 15 per can. this isn't worth the cost for me. i find that techron, redline (&c, &c.) arent worth the money if they are used in the manner prescribed in the bottle. my personal cleanliness routine? get the cheapest 3k mile fuel injector cleaner (not the "use every other tank stuff) from walmart, for about 1.50 each. buy three of them. toss them in just before the reserve light comes on. run it to the brink of running out of fuel, doing italian tuneups the way through. repeat several times, remembering that you will have to change your oil soon after. i personally don't bother using techron anymore unless i can afford to buy two or three bottles to dump in at the same time. my mother, who notices nothing automotive, noted that she was getting a lot better gas mileage after i put two bottles of techron in and flogged it for 40 miles or so. i wouldn't do this in anything with a suspect/leaky fuel system though, would probably eat the rubber out. i drive about 900 miles per week in the e34, i do this every other tank when i get close to an oil change. i've spent too much money on these solutions in other cars not to come to the conclusion i've arrived at, its quantity, not the quality of the cleaner you put in that gets the actual cleaning done.

My 535i has about the same mileage as yours, has the EAT chip & I run 91 octane with no pinging problems. Before the EAT chip I ran 89 & it was happy. Every few months I'll run a can of Techron through the tank but if your car is running good & you aren't lugging it all the time you shouldn't have problems. Your old engine had lots of problems as I recall from your first post that would account for the mess you found.

Im using that techron fuel system cleaner. It seems to be helping it run a little smoother. I'm on my second bottle. Each bottle treats like 20 gallons, and i've only filled it up to about 10 gallons. Maybe I should do like you said and pour it in when the gas light lights up.

As per the seafoam hotsoak method through the intake- did you have any o2 sensor problems or even cat. problems?

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

When looking at the pic of the intake I believe there was something wrong. Do not know about that engine so much but on the M60/62/70 engines that is usually a prob with a broken diaphragm or valve in the crank case ventilation. Easy to detect by high oil consumption, black smoke from the exhaust, and suction when opening the engine oil filler cap.
    The whole intake system can then look like the above picture.
    If all is working properly, such pic would look different.

Default I'll try the Techron,

Quote Originally Posted by John B.
    My 535i has about the same mileage as yours, has the EAT chip & I run 91 octane with no pinging problems. Before the EAT chip I ran 89 & it was happy. Every few months I'll run a can of Techron through the tank but if your car is running good & you aren't lugging it all the time you shouldn't have problems. Your old engine had lots of problems as I recall from your first post that would account for the mess you found.
    Iv'e put 500mi on the recently installed engine and have been using 93 octane thinking I'd like to clean it out before I try using less octane. I'ts good to here it should be fine on 89 octane. This engine is running much better and I'm actually enjoying the car now. There is just that image of the old engine still in my mind.

Default Definitely something wrong

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    When looking at the pic of the intake I believe there was something wrong. Do not know about that engine so much but on the M60/62/70 engines that is usually a prob with a broken diaphragm or valve in the crank case ventilation. Easy to detect by high oil consumption, black smoke from the exhaust, and suction when opening the engine oil filler cap.
    The whole intake system can then look like the above picture.
    If all is working properly, such pic would look different.
    This was the old engine I pulled for a coolant leak. As i took it apart it just got uglier.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast