GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning evaporator and heater core

Default Removed the heater-a/c blower motor and

I can see that the heater core or a/c evaporator right behind the motor is quite blocked with material, the fins are partially visible here and there. Question- Is there a safe solvent that I can spray/apply from the engine compartment side that is effective and will increase air flow? Please respond ASAP as the car is apart right now!
    Thanks! This is the car that has possible Relay Module related issues that keeps the windows from going down, so I need the fan to get back on-line until I can determine the problem. THANKS to Don Gale for the tip and part number so I buy the Stabilant 22A electrical contact cleaner at a VW Dealer ($40 in stock for 5ML). And for the Amsoil, too! Gale is great to deal with!
    Keith in AZ.
    Keith in Scottsdale, AZ
    '91 535ia 220K Alpine/Parchment
    '89 735il 252K Cirrus/Parchment

'00 740il 124K Oxford/Sand

Wd40
    1989 e34 520i se, red, mint condition (original)
    pro mechanic "all cars"

is it the heater core, or the microfilter you see? If it's your microfilter, just remove the sucker and replace it
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Default Keith, BG products frigi clean works pretty good for that and you

have a bg distibutor in phoenix. Don't even think about wd40 unless you really want the pleasant smell of wd40 every time you turn the heater or a/c on...

[/QUOTE]bg stuff

Default You may want to check this link also.

Default Javier, they had problems because they didn't know what they were doing and

sprayed the cleaner in the wrong place, If he cleans the evaporator or heater core from the blower side and lets it dry ,there won't be any problems .

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerd00d
    is it the heater core, or the microfilter you see? If it's your microfilter, just remove the sucker and replace it
    My '91 535i does not have the microfilter you speak of.
    I can see the heater core, in all its filthy glory plain as day right behind where there blower motor is mounted. So far, I have been pretty successful with a stiff brush and a vacuum cleaner...tight quarters and my hands have paid the price. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Keith
    Keith in Scottsdale, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by e34bim
    Wd40
    I have removed most of the build-up with a brush and a vacuum cleaner. I was tempted to try your suggestion, but worried that by introducing a spray that would stay on the fins it would collect more dust, etc at an even greater rate than a dry, non-coated surface. Am I wrong?

Keith
    Keith in Scottsdale, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    sprayed the cleaner in the wrong place, If he cleans the evaporator or heater core from the blower side and lets it dry ,there won't be any problems .
    I will try to get me some before I button it up. I already did pretty good so far with a stiff nylon bristle brush and a vacuum cleaner. If the heater core was nearly blocked and filthy, I wonder how the evaporator looks. That looks like a lot of work to get after it, so I will hope for the best right now. So far, in the summer, I have measure about a 5 degree temp difference between the left and right side vents, the left being warmer. I replaced the electonic heater valve with new without any change in results last summer. Wonder if this blockage had anything to do with it. It never did blow the volume of air like my E32 does (replaced the evaporator 7 years ago because of leak, not clogged). I did happen to see a really clogged evaporator from a car owned by a dog fanatic that obviously shedded lots of fur in the car.
    Keith in Scottsdale, AZ

Default Yes I'm sure he did, what sounds interesting ...

is the product he used for the job, may be a good choice!!

Javier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast