GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: srs airbag question.....

Default srs airbag question.....

The srs light on my 540i stays on for about 2 min after starting and then goes out. The manual states that it should go out after several seconds, and thats how it works on my wifes 1994 525it. The manual states that if it stays on or is constantly flashing it needs service. Since mine is somewhere in between does that mean its ok or not? If its ok, will it still deploy if god forbid I get in an accident in the first 2 min? Thanks.....Bill

If it stays on then you either have, or had, a fault somewhere. Did you recently clean the interior, or have a spill?

If you haven't got a code reader, you should take it to a dealer or your indy and get the code(s) read. Depending on the fault the airbag should still function though. I'm not familiar with many of the SRS faults but if the problem is something like a set belt sensor or the passenger seat pressure sensor the airbags should function normally.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by wmann
    The srs light on my 540i stays on for about 2 min after starting and then goes out. The manual states that it should go out after several seconds, and thats how it works on my wifes 1994 525it. The manual states that if it stays on or is constantly flashing it needs service. Since mine is somewhere in between does that mean its ok or not? If its ok, will it still deploy if god forbid I get in an accident in the first 2 min? Thanks.....Bill

'95 540i 6sp, uuc ssk, Dinan chip
    proud member of the nikasil club

if the light goes off even after 2 mins then the system is ok (delayed response) and thats a problem being sorted but the system is ok as long as the srs light goes off while driving
    1989 e34 520i se, red, mint condition (original)
    pro mechanic "all cars"

So if the light goes out then eventhough there could be a fault, its not one that will prevent the operation of the airbags?

Quote Originally Posted by e34bim
    if the light goes off even after 2 mins then the system is ok (delayed response) and thats a problem being sorted but the system is ok as long as the srs light goes off while driving

wmann: The exact same thing started to happen to my '95 540 this weekend. It stays on for 2 minutes and then goes out. Tonight was the first time i have been able to research this on the net. I think i will continue and monitor to see if the time gets any longer. If you have an update, please post. Thanks.

I have the same deal.... it started happening right after I took out the cluster to change some bulbs.... I guess I was suppose to disconnect the battery first (but I didn't)
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

Default SRS reset

Is there any simple way to reset the SRS without going to a dealer?

I recently had to remove the steering wheel airbag for steering lock maintenance, so disconnected the battery and airbag before removal. I'm told the flashing/steady SRS light can only be reset by a dealer, but hope to find a simpler way. Suggestions?

You can get a reset tool from bavarian autosport (and prolly elswhere)

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dash01
    Is there any simple way to reset the SRS without going to a dealer?

I recently had to remove the steering wheel airbag for steering lock maintenance, so disconnected the battery and airbag before removal. I'm told the flashing/steady SRS light can only be reset by a dealer, but hope to find a simpler way. Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by wengenstein
    You can get a reset tool from bavarian autosport (and prolly elswhere)

Dennis

Lol, it must be something in the air because my 95 525i is doing the same thing
    95 BMW 525i black/black
    -E.A.T. chip
    -Blacked out grill and window trim
    -17in AC replicas
    -Blistein shocks & H&R springs
    -Cadmium plated Brembo rotors
    -Raybestos QS break pads

Quote Originally Posted by kngpen
    Lol, it must be something in the air because my 95 525i is doing the same thing

Just did a search and arrived at this thread. I'm starting down the same road.

Two weeks ago I did a 1K mile trip to and from Lost Wages. Car ran beautifully at average speed 79.8 mph and gas mileage 25.7 mpg. '95 530ia with 67K miles this week. Warm in Vegas at 70 degrees. Came home to Salty Lake and temps in the 30's. The very next morning these symptoms started.

Normal warning lights when key is started. SRS light on, then blinks (this is when it normally stayed off), approximately 2-3 minutes later it goes out without any intervention.

Has anybody had further information or follow up to this situation?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast