GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: srs airbag question.....

Guessing no one ever figured out the two minute SRS light problem? Mine's done it for about as long as I've owned it. But I don't think it's supposed to be on for 2 minutes after the car is started.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Bringing an old thread back to life. Have any of you found out what's behind this 2-minute SRS light issue. Mine just started. Will a "shogun" reset fix this? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Bringing an old thread back to life. Have any of you found out what's behind this 2-minute SRS light issue. Mine just started. Will a "shogun" reset fix this? Thanks!
    nope
    1995 525i "Stefanie"

I have the same, only I know why.. I swapped seats between my cars and the passenger seat that went into the 95 doesnīt have the seat sensor hence the 2 min delay!

So what I have to do is take apart the original seat and transfer the sensor to the leather sports now in the 95.. Just havenīt gotten around to it yet.

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Default This has been

answered repeatedly in the past. If you look at service bulletin 720496 youll see it. Its caused by a broken or damaged circuit board in either the drivers side seat belt latch or the passengers side. If you have code 24 its the drivers side if you have fault code 25 its the passenger side, either way it goes into the default mode which is to trigger both bags in the event of an accident.
    IF the system is functioning normally then the seat belt sensors detect if you have a passenger in the car and will turn that bag on or off which would save some money if nobodies on that side then you don't need to trigger the passenger bag.

It affects all models with the ZAE airbag system, e34e36,e38,e31 as of production date 3/94

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R. View Post
    answered repeatedly in the past. If you look at service bulletin 720496 youll see it. Its caused by a broken or damaged circuit board in either the drivers side seat belt latch or the passengers side. If you have code 24 its the drivers side if you have fault code 25 its the passenger side, either way it goes into the default mode which is to trigger both bags in the event of an accident.
    IF the system is functioning normally then the seat belt sensors detect if you have a passenger in the car and will turn that bag on or off which would save some money if nobodies on that side then you don't need to trigger the passenger bag.

It affects all models with the ZAE airbag system, e34e36,e38,e31 as of production date 3/94
    My indy wanted a bundle to fix as parts are not cheap and seat needs to removed etc. meaning a fairly high labor charge. Has anyone tried to fix the circuit board themselves?
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default Carsoft 6.5

Find someone with Carsoft 6.5 and have him read the srs module. After he reads the module he can clear the fault. I just helped a fellow BMW owner clear the SRS fault on his 535I.

Mine was doing the same thing, so I bought one of those crappy chinese srs readers off ebay for $60. The code it gave me said it was like a general srs code that goes off, and to reset, and it shouldn't come back on. I reset it with the reader and it hasn't come back on, that was a few months ago.

Captain Dan
    1995 530i
    1977 530i

Description:
    Service Bulletin Number: 720496
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 10
    Date of Bulletin: 04/1996
    NHTSA Item Number: SB047664
    Year: 1994
    Make: BMW
    Model: 740
    Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT
    Summary:
    THE SRS AIRBAG LIGHT COMES ''ON'' AND STAYS ILLUMINATED FOR UP TO TWO MINUTES AFTER STARTING THE VEHICLE. THIS MAY HAPPEN EITHER WITH EVERY START OR SPORADICALLY. THE PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD IN THE FRONT SAFETY BELT BUCKLE MAY BE BROKEN. THIS CAUSES THE MO BROKEN. THIS CAUSES THE MONITORED RESISTANCE VALUES TO DRIFT UNDER MECHANICAL LOAD.
    http://www.allworldauto.com/tsbs/NHT...in_142463.html

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    My indy wanted a bundle to fix as parts are not cheap and seat needs to removed etc. meaning a fairly high labor charge. Has anyone tried to fix the circuit board themselves?
    I've thought about trying to reflow the solder joints, but after taking a close look at the seat belt latch I didn't see an easy way to open the housing up. With the options of living with the 2-minute light or possibly breaking the latch assembly trying to fix it, I chose the former. If I hit something hard enough to deploy both airbags, the car's gonna be a total anyway, so why bother?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast