GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head rebuild in Phoenix - any shop recs?

Default Head rebuild in Phoenix - any shop recs?

With two busted rocker arms I'm in the market for a valve job with some part replacement. Funds, while available, are not unlimited.

I spoke to the only guy I know of that works on BMWs (German Car Service in Scottsdale). I have some misgivings though. First, he wants to replace all rocker arms and shafts sight unseen, and wouldn't let me supply parts. I don't really have a problem with that, but I'm worried I'll end up paying $55 per rocker arm when I could get the same arms off the 'net for $25. I also wouldn't mind being able to specify which springs are used. Second, he says he hasn't done a M30 head rebuild in 15-20 years (he was commenting on their reliability but I read something else). I would like someone fresher than that. Third, he wouldn't do the machine work himself, but ship it off to a shop. I'd like all the work to be done by the same shop at least. Lastly, he wouldn't give me a ballpark. I tossed out $1k but he still hemmed and hawed (how much does a top-end rebuild normally cost anyway? Never had one done).

I that's the only guy I know of; I'd be walking the yellow pages for another option. Maybe a long shot, but if anyone has experiences with head work in Phoenix I'd love to hear about it.

----

Part two - what I'd like out of the head work.

I was quite happy with how my car performed so I'm not looking to get a hotter cam or have the thing ported/polished. I'd like to get the same level of performance back with an emphasis on reliability. A new cam isn't out of the question, but I'd rather not trade torque for top-end gains.

A valve job will absolutely happen, along with new valve springs. I'm a bit mixed on the rockers though. All new rocker arms and shafts add a hefty chunk to the rebuild cost. I'm estimating $300-600 from what I've seen on parts prices. Labor costs wouldn't change as it all has to come out for the valve job anyway.

I probably don't need new valves, 'cept for #1's which may have been tapped, but I really don't know what to expect in machine work. Would a 3 or 5 angle valve job be more reliable? Anyone care to venture a ballpark as to machine cost?

Damn I'm long winded. Sorry guys. In a nutshell, valve job and springs certainly, some mix-and-match options with rockers and/or shafts and the camshaft.

TIA

Dave

Default Dave, the labor to do the machine work on the head should

run less than 200, thats for a valve job,pressure test and resurfacing. Any parts would be additional. You'll need to buy a head set for the gaskets. The head set will have the valve stem seals that the machine shop will need when they do the valve job. I would definitely still talk to bmw about the rockers, if they are the faulty rockers you could at least get the rockers from them. The rocker shafts I would inspect to determine if they need to be replaced. Some of the valve guides may be worn enough that you will have to either replace them or ream them and use bmw's oversize replacement valves. Bmw uses a 3 angle valve job just like virtually all other engines out there. The performance gain from a 5 angle is negligible and there's usually a trade off in the life of the valve job since you have to narrow up the valve seat. Even if bmw won't cover the rockers i would think hard about getting them all anyway. If you can wait a day or two i will call some friends who still live in Phx and ask them who to take the head to for the machine work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave535Phoenix
    With two busted rocker arms I'm in the market for a valve job with some part replacement. Funds, while available, are not unlimited.

I spoke to the only guy I know of that works on BMWs (German Car Service in Scottsdale). I have some misgivings though. First, he wants to replace all rocker arms and shafts sight unseen, and wouldn't let me supply parts. I don't really have a problem with that, but I'm worried I'll end up paying $55 per rocker arm when I could get the same arms off the 'net for $25. I also wouldn't mind being able to specify which springs are used. Second, he says he hasn't done a M30 head rebuild in 15-20 years (he was commenting on their reliability but I read something else). I would like someone fresher than that. Third, he wouldn't do the machine work himself, but ship it off to a shop. I'd like all the work to be done by the same shop at least. Lastly, he wouldn't give me a ballpark. I tossed out $1k but he still hemmed and hawed (how much does a top-end rebuild normally cost anyway? Never had one done).

I that's the only guy I know of; I'd be walking the yellow pages for another option. Maybe a long shot, but if anyone has experiences with head work in Phoenix I'd love to hear about it.

----

Part two - what I'd like out of the head work.

I was quite happy with how my car performed so I'm not looking to get a hotter cam or have the thing ported/polished. I'd like to get the same level of performance back with an emphasis on reliability. A new cam isn't out of the question, but I'd rather not trade torque for top-end gains.

A valve job will absolutely happen, along with new valve springs. I'm a bit mixed on the rockers though. All new rocker arms and shafts add a hefty chunk to the rebuild cost. I'm estimating $300-600 from what I've seen on parts prices. Labor costs wouldn't change as it all has to come out for the valve job anyway.

I probably don't need new valves, 'cept for #1's which may have been tapped, but I really don't know what to expect in machine work. Would a 3 or 5 angle valve job be more reliable? Anyone care to venture a ballpark as to machine cost?

Damn I'm long winded. Sorry guys. In a nutshell, valve job and springs certainly, some mix-and-match options with rockers and/or shafts and the camshaft.

TIA

Dave

Default call bavarian motors on 16th st

north of mcdowell all the work on are bmw's they should be able to give you al ball park number over the phone their number is 602-254-7380

Default call bavarian motors on 16th st

north of mcdowell all they work on are bmw's they should be able to give you a ball park number over the phone their number is 602-254-7380

EJ
    You have PM
    Ramon
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

I'd like to get the head to a shop on Friday; I'll call Bavarian (thanks for the rec ej) and if you have any other recs, I'll check them out too.

I called a BMW dealer, though everything matches, my serial isn't coming up as a car that gets free rocker arms.

New gasket set and head bolts ordered from BMA. They should be here Friday if UPS has amphibious trucks.

As for replacing the rest of the rocker arms, I'm leaning toward leaving the good ones alone. It appears the ones that broke didn't fail on their own, but had some help from the piston and valve. We'll see what the shop says; they get to actually handle the pieces.

Thanks again.

Dave

i wouldn't do a full set of rockers without doing the shafts as they wear together and old shafts could screw up a new set of rockers, a couple new ones shouldn't hurt unless the shafts are buggered up
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

same thing goes for the cam

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    i wouldn't do a full set of rockers without doing the shafts as they wear together and old shafts could screw up a new set of rockers, a couple new ones shouldn't hurt unless the shafts are buggered up
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

[ As for replacing the rest of the rocker arms, I'm leaning toward leaving the good ones alone. It appears the ones that broke didn't fail on their own ] I agree, after a good look at your pictures it seems you have a burn out problem on #1 causing the valves to stick which in turn broke the rockers, the burnout is noted by the excess carbon on the head also burning of the head between the spark plug and valve, also noted the larger valve is seated well into its recess and the smaller valve is sitting proud with a fine gap which would cause a rich mixture hence the burn out, i would recomend all valves be re-seated (ground in) and replace #1 valves and guides then have the engine set up properly so it dosnt happen again (which it will if you just put the head back on without a proper tune up and good luck
    1989 e34 520i se, red, mint condition (original)
    pro mechanic "all cars"

Default Ditto on the Bavarian Auto....

Ask for Andrew. He is the owner/manager of the place. They have been working on my car for the last 4 years and have always been thorough and fair. They usually require an appointment.

What he lacks in customer appeal (personality - takes a while to warm up to you), he more than makes up in with good troubleshooting/analytical skills.

They also are good at pointing out other trouble spots that you may not be aware of, and letting you know the priority, or necessity, of each item.

If it can't wait til later, they'll let you know.

Check out his M3 and Mini Cooper collection. Andrew is the head of the local BMW racing club, I think.

He really knows his stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast