GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: My First 535i, Found Stop Leak in Radiator.

Default My First 535i, Found Stop Leak in Radiator.

I purchased a 1990 BMW 535i for $3,500.00 from Oakland Motors LLC, 367 Oakland St. Manchester CT. 06040. On October 16th 2004. I was told by the salesperson Clive Ramkissoon Jr., and Jamie Pinto Jr. this car was in excellent shape and was a one owner trade in at Balise Auto in Massachusetts. I picked up the car on Wednesday and by Friday the check coolant level appeared on the panel. I checked it and had to add about a half of a gallon of coolant and noticed a wet area under the car. That Saturday I inspected the hoses for leaks and saw wetness around the radiator hose, I ordered new hoses for the car and proceeded to install them. As I took off the upper radiator hose I noticed the neck to clamp the hose was broken off and there was very little to clamp onto then I saw some gooey stuff on the plastic part of the radiator and wiped it off revealing a crack in the top of the plastic part of the radiator. I ordered a new radiator. As I was draining the radiator I noticed some metallic glitter in the coolant and I got a bad feeling some one was hiding something with stop leak, a radiator and engine sealant. As I flushed out the system and installed a new radiator and hoses and new coolant I figured I was all set now. The first time I drove to work (23 miles) I noticed the check coolant light go on after I got to work. This time there were no external leaks. After work when the car cooled down I added some coolant and drove home again noticing white smoke when I started the car and When I got home I noticed the check coolant on again. The car was running rough at idle also so I decided to check the spark plugs. As I removed the number 2 spark plug some water vapor exited the spark plug hole, it fogged up my mirror I was using to inspect the area. I then proceeded to remove the cylinder head to inspect the head gasket. I removed the cylinder head and looked at the engine block I noticed a sludge looking substance in some of the cylinder head boltholes. A closer look revealed the cracks in the block allowing the coolant to leak to the head gasket area and also mix with the oil creating the sludge substance. Expensive lesson learned. From now on I am draining fluid from the radiator on any car I purchase.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

with the copper sealent on the gasket surface of the block id say some goober did a head job (hense the sealent on the gasket) and didn't blow out the head bolt holes and hydraulicly cracked the block. that would be my first guess
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Welcome to the board. That totally sucks. It underscores the importance of an impartial inspection of any e34 prior to purchase. Those are some of the largest block cracks I have ever seen.

On the bright side, your car is worth alot on parts alone, and I think you will be surprised what you can get if you start all over and part this car out. Otherwise you need a new head and block, and a competent mechanic, and some luck plus money. All is not lost. Don't give up.

This is truly one of the best cars ever made. But it requires diligence, work and sometimes sacrifice, to join the elite who own good examples of them. It requires a mindset of maintenance similar to Persig's laid out in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." Your e34 should be a reflection of yourself. Buying one should be an arduous process. On these cars, you don't wait for things to go wrong, or break. You replace every goddamn thing on the car at regular intervals, just because. Just because you love it; just because nothing under your control could ever cause harm to it.

Only through suffering do we understand pleasure. I feel so bad for you, I'd sell you mine, but you don't have the money- my asking price would make Bill Gates think twice. If you don't feel this way about cars, then I can recommend some great cars for you, and I wouldn't think badly of you for making your choice to not own an e34.

Please stick with it and join our band of brothers.

You will now be returned to your regularly scheduled programming:............

BTW, this Maker's Mark whiskey I've been working on is some damn fine hootch.
    Last edited by tim; 01-10-2005 at 12:44 AM.
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

bet the ass that did the head/gasket put copper gum on the headbolts and thats what sealed in the juices for a nice hydraulic lock on the bolts... figure out who did the job, take some pictures and have him add them to the portfolio. Also you could forward them to the dealer and any other shop that may use his services. I think you may be able to have rebuttal at the place you purchased the car at also.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Is there a lemon law in Ct.? There is one in MA.

In MA there is a 90 day warranty on any car purchased from a dealer dubbed the "Lemon Law". I would check it out as it sounds like you're within the 90 days.

Since the car was purchased from a licensed used car dealer it should have come with a 30 day warranty or at the least a 50/50 warranty. Did you go back to the dealer after you found the problems?

Default I had the same thought

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    with the copper sealent on the gasket surface of the block id say some goober did a head job (hense the sealent on the gasket) and didn't blow out the head bolt holes and hydraulicly cracked the block. that would be my first guess
    Thanks, I've taken a few photos but the files are to large to post. I had the same Idea about the repair job gone bad. I found a missing Intake manifold nut and washers on the under side which got me thinking it had been apart.

Default Replaced the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by tim
    Welcome to the board. That totally sucks. It underscores the importance of an impartial inspection of any e34 prior to purchase. Those are some of the largest block cracks I have ever seen.

On the bright side, your car is worth alot on parts alone, and I think you will be surprised what you can get if you start all over and part this car out. Otherwise you need a new head and block, and a competent mechanic, and some luck plus money. All is not lost. Don't give up.

This is truly one of the best cars ever made. But it requires diligence, work and sometimes sacrifice, to join the elite who own good examples of them. It requires a mindset of maintenance similar to Persig's laid out in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." Your e34 should be a reflection of yourself. Buying one should be an arduous process. On these cars, you don't wait for things to go wrong, or break. You replace every goddamn thing on the car at regular intervals, just because. Just because you love it; just because nothing under your control could ever cause harm to it.

Only through suffering do we understand pleasure. I feel so bad for you, I'd sell you mine, but you don't have the money- my asking price would make Bill Gates think twice. If you don't feel this way about cars, then I can recommend some great cars for you, and I wouldn't think badly of you for making your choice to not own an e34.

Please stick with it and join our band of brothers.

You will now be returned to your regularly scheduled programming:............

BTW, this Maker's Mark whiskey I've been working on is some damn fine hootch.
    I found a replacement engine with 105k. Installed it with a new radiator, hoses, thermostat, water pump, spark plugs, exhaust manifold gaskets, BMW antifreeze, oil and filters. I guess I will have to wait for the other I tems I wanted when I bought the car. It runs fine now but I get an oder from the new exhaust manifold gasket?

Default Lots of photos.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    bet the ass that did the head/gasket put copper gum on the headbolts and thats what sealed in the juices for a nice hydraulic lock on the bolts... figure out who did the job, take some pictures and have him add them to the portfolio. Also you could forward them to the dealer and any other shop that may use his services. I think you may be able to have rebuttal at the place you purchased the car at also.

Iv'e taken lots of photos, all the files ar to large to post. I wish I new who actually did the work for the dealer who sold it.

I'm glad to hear that you are sticking with it. Have you checked out the free gallery? I just did it recently and its the perfect place to post larger pictures. It's easy to edit too. Check it out.

Given the work you've done, you are obviously a good wrench.
    As far as the odor, do you smell it in the exhaust, or in the cabin? I'd put a few miles on it before I started worrying about it.
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]