GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Engine Compartment Screening

Default Engine Compartment Screening

OK, I am one of "those" that never had the plastic screen "plate" covering the bottom of the engine on my 95 525i. Wifey has one on her A4q and it certainly keeps the crud off the bottom of the motor.

Upon checking out this page, I see that one is available and it appears held on by 4 plastic nuts plus there appears to be another attachment point at the rear passenger side...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=51&fg=70

Has anyone fitted/retrofitted one of these on their 525i and, if so, what did you need/order?
    Thanks folks....
    "Uncle" Phil C
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    Former owner of a 95 525i 5spd. "The GQ" aka A Shark in sheeps clothing
    03 R1150RT 6spd. "DaRTth"
    00 R1100R 5spd. "LeRoy"

Default Ys, it also has a screw in the rear side, ...

guess it is Item 12 and 13 (You may still have 13 hanging on the body bridge under the engine), then you will need 23, 4x19, 12 and 13. Guess you have the 4 threaded studs in the body.

Wonder why you didn't get it when car was assembled.

Javier

Default I thought it was standard equipment.....

My 95 525iT has the engine compartment screen...which is beneficial for keeping water and other debris off the belts... and keeps stuff from being tossed up into the engine compartment. (besides, water can make the belts slip)

I think you will need items:
    #23 - engine compartment screening
    #19 (buy 4) - plastic body nuts (which are smooth and become threaded when you screw them on to the bolts hanging down for them)
    #12 - hex screw
    #13 - body nut
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

i don't think that standard length 525i's were equipped with screens, but people say that one can be added on, if one likes.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Ryan, what do you mean standard length? .......

Are there different E34 lengths?

Javier

Default Confusing isn't it....!

See, its easy to be confused..some does, and some doesn't!!

I am going to see if I have anything that looks like a couple of unoccupied bolts on each of the the front frame rails that appears capable of adding the nut that holds up the floor pan!
    "Uncle" Phil C
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    00 R1100R 5spd. "LeRoy"

Quote Originally Posted by Javier
    Are there different E34 lengths?

Javier
    when i meant length, i meant that the 525i touring MAY have it as standard, and the 525i sedan doesn't have it at all. i posted a poll on the old board asking how many 525i owners had a splash screen, none of the respondents did.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default I'm just surprised

535's came with it as standard fare, the 525's were sans cover. There are threaded studs that are used to attach the cover to the underside that protrude from the frame rail area. You will need to find a sheet metal screw clip for the attachment in back, it is attached by a screw and not a stud.

You could always wait until Scott H. wasn't looking and swipe his...=)

Good to hear from you "Uncle Phil", hope your holidays were filled with joy! Regards to Deb for me, ok?...

Jr

Default Hiya JR!!

Hi Jr ...How you doing mate?
    I did send my Christmas and New years Email board greeting to you and the gang in December but I will say it again...Hope you and yours have a happy, safe and prosperous 2005! Deb also sends her best....

I will be driving the GQ down to TX in February and will be leaving it down there until our final move, which is slated for July of this year. I just did an oil and filter change on her and then took it in to Euroquipe in St.Charles (BMW and Porsche indie) to have them do an A/C recharge, brake fluid flush and to refill diff and gearbox with synthetic. I also asked them to give it the 'once over' while it is on the lift with emphasis on the guibo and center bearing "just in case".

I am looking forward to a high speed road trip over the Presidents Day weekend (with Val1 on full alert!) then we are flying back. I wouldn't trust it to a shipper and with the cheap flights it actually works out cheaper for us to drive it down and fly back!

The garage will look VERY empty

All the best
    "Uncle" Phil C
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    00 R1100R 5spd. "LeRoy"