GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One Wheel Spinning in Snow, Help!

Default One Wheel Spinning in Snow, Help!

'93 525I stuck this morning parked outside 3-5" snow. Been snowing past few days, managed in and out same parking unplowed. Today car would only budge a little. Had to get a ride from someone else.

First in reverse (auto) heard engine rev and wheel spinning. Opened door and find driver side wheel not spinning at all no matter how far push gas pedal, only passenger rear wheel spinning.

Is this because of the differential (just read online before posting this)?
    Is this a problem in my Beemer I have to fix ($$)?
    Tried sticking tree branch under spinning wheel but won't catch, what other way to get it going, shovel?

Any help and insight is greatly needed.

Regards,
    Steve
    Chicago

you just have an open differential, not a limited slip unit. it is NOT a problem, simply how the car was optioned when bought. Most automatic 525's did not come with a limited slip differential. Your best bet is to find a set of snow tires for winter.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Yata, a trick to help open differentials is to lightly apply the hand brake and will slow the spinning wheel and transfer some torque to the stationary wheel.

I have an open 2.93 on my 540i, and even though I have ASC+T, all that does is chop power to keep the wheel from spinning....I either have to:

a) use the handbrake, or

b) a little-known ASC+T trick...hold the ASC switch for > 10 secs, which retains the ABS-assisted traction but does not reduce engine power through the DME...that means you can apply power, the spinning wheel will be slowed by the ASC/ABS controller and power will be transferred through the open diff to the stationary wheel.

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Thanks a lot bimmerd00d. Got worried, didn't know differential can shut one wheel completely off. I will check the tire shop for snow tires. Also put some weight in the trunk. Thanks again.

junk in the trunk is a good way to go =]

Default blizzaks!!!! i live in N.E. Pa.

tim s.

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default ASC+T shift power to other rear wheel?

Mine seems very stable in ice and snow. as I have ASC+T traction control, It seems to shift power to the other non slipping wheel to ensure traction. is that correct as I cannot see what is happening while driving?

Just curious? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by yata
    '93 525I stuck this morning parked outside 3-5" snow. Been snowing past few days, managed in and out same parking unplowed. Today car would only budge a little. Had to get a ride from someone else.

First in reverse (auto) heard engine rev and wheel spinning. Opened door and find driver side wheel not spinning at all no matter how far push gas pedal, only passenger rear wheel spinning.

Is this because of the differential (just read online before posting this)?
    Is this a problem in my Beemer I have to fix ($$)?
    Tried sticking tree branch under spinning wheel but won't catch, what other way to get it going, shovel?

Any help and insight is greatly needed.

Regards,
    Steve
    Chicago
    Last edited by Russell; 01-07-2005 at 04:09 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Russell, are you asking members that replied to me? They know. After what happened I found:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...ctober/03.html

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/dri...explained.html

Differential is designed and std. in all cars (?) for turning regardless of snow. Traction control works similarly I believe, a feature($$) working in conjuction.

Default In general, Yes

Still, does straction control shift power to the non spinning wheel to gain traction or does it reduce power to the spinning wheel unitl traction is regained. Not sure??

Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by yata
    Russell, are you asking members that replied to me? They know. After what happened I found:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...ctober/03.html

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/dri...explained.html

Differential is designed and std. in all cars (?) for turning regardless of snow. Traction control works similarly I believe, a feature($$) working in conjuction.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast