GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whirring motor noise behind dash shortly after starting and switching off?

Default Whirring motor noise behind dash shortly after starting and switching off?

I can't recall who I asked about this before but what gives with the 'gyroscopic' whirring type motor noise eminating from behind the driver's side of the dash? (RHD - 90' 535iA) It usually occurs just after I take off and lasts anywhere from 5-10 seconds. Then just as I shut the motor off after pulling up, it does it all again. I'm stuffed if I know what it is. My guess is some kind of motorised vent opening or closing? - What's the story?

P.S. I've ordered a Bentley manual.

York, England - an ancient walled city, founded by the Romans. Popular with American visitors!

Default Don' worry...

It is just the stepper motors for the vents - they all do it. Not a problem just normal activity for your E34.
    Simon Daubeney, York, England. 1989 530iSE 5-spd Manual, Alpina 17s, M5 swaybars, Eibach sports springs and Bilstein Sprint dampers.

that sound freaks out small children
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Jeff - it freaks me out, too

Default I work for a company that makes those things...

They don't go into BMW's yet though. Ours go to visteon, Delphi, and Valeo, some go into Jags & Mercedes. If we made any that were even 1/10 as loud as the ones in bimmers they'd reject them and get another supplier. They have to meet certain low sound pressure levels. Jaguar is the worst - they actually will sit with the engine off, power on, put their ears to the dash, move the flaps, and if they hear ANYTHING they don't like they give us hell.

Personally I like the reassuring sound that tells me they're working!
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

i dont know if the stepper motors is it.My car has the electric motor that regulates the windscreen wiper pressure.mine makes a whiiiiiiiirrrrr as i move off(about 15 kh hr) and when it turn the motor off. and you alsohear it sometimes wheh you wash your screen.It definetly comes from the far right of the dash.....The ventilation motors are different esp on our cars pundit.When you have 5 minutes to spare on a quiet quiet night stay in your car for five minutes after you shut it off.....it whirs and creaks and buzzes for AGES......
    Gone but not forgotten

Germans like to hear things work in their "driving" cars. Re: Jags...if you can't hear it, how do you know it's working?

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

This one is driving me . I'm sure it has something to do with the speed sensitive wipers.. Is there really nothing that can be done about it? I can live with the short creak/buzz when driving off, but it's the wiping and turning the engine off that bugs the hell out me. Lately it's been going , it starts making modem sounds out of the blue when driving with the wipers off, then if I touch the wipers it really freaks out. Sometimes when I turn the engine off it's really really loud. I won't accept this, theres gotta be something to be done?

Edit: Btw, there's no air conditioning in my car.
    Last edited by Tcdoe; 03-07-2005 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcdoe
    This one is driving me . I'm sure it has something to do with the speed sensitive wipers.. Is there really nothing that can be done about it? I can live with the short creak/buzz when driving off, but it's the wiping and turning the engine off that bugs the hell out me. Lately it's been going , it starts making modem sounds out of the blue when driving with the wipers off, then if I touch the wipers it really freaks out. Sometimes when I turn the engine off it's really really loud. I won't accept this, theres gotta be something to be done?

Edit: Btw, there's no air conditioning in my car.
    I originally started this thread and I'm now convinced it is the stepper motors for the climate control. Yes it is loud, and if I get home late I'm sometimes certain it must wake half the neighbours in the street. I guess I've just come to accept it as being all part of the rich tapestry of owning an E34!

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Yeah, I too got used to it pretty quickly, but the sound used be more of a nice beep earlier. Recently it's developed into this rough cracking buzz, kinda hard to describe. That too would be fine if it just did it when driving off and switching off, but now it does it randomly and sometimes it keeps doing it for 30 seconds. That just CAN'T be normal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast