GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: CDX-M30 CD Changer question

Default CDX-M30 CD Changer question

So, I bought a cdx-m30 on ebay and it came without an interface cord. I guess I wasn't paying attention when researching whether this would plug right into my prewired '90 535i. I thought it would "plug and play". Well, I guess I am looking for a CDX-M30 interface cable. Then it should work, right? Anyone have one lying around that they don't need anymore. I will buy it from you!
    Incidentally, were there any actual CD players that did plug into the prewired cars of this era?
    Jon

Default I purchased a new data cable from pioneer for a used cdx-m30.

It is my understanding that the difference is 1 pair swapped for the bmw data cable. Somebody should run continuity tests on the pin outs to make this an easy fix.
    erased due to slander

The other difference is that CDX-M30 is a rectangular 13 pin plug going into the changer and the BMW cable is the round 13 pin plug. Seems like there should've just been a simple round to rectangular adapter, but, I suppose that wouldn't make anybody much money now would it? What did you pay for that cable, Martin?

I'm going through the same thing. I got the cdx-m30 extremely cheaply, and my car wasn't pre-wired at all, so I got the round-to-square interface cable (called a bmw-pio/m) from www.discountcarstereo.com and a used head unit (either Alpine CM5901 or Pioneer something) and bmw data cable.

I heard that the Pioneer cable would not work, as the pins have a different location compared with the factory cable.

I'm still waiting for all my parts to arrive, but I'll let you know if it works!!! I went this route as it was still cheaper than installing the cheapest aftermarket cd head unit, and I prefer the factory look.

Default The pioneer cable was about $90.

It plugged directly into the radio & changer. My '89 535 was not wired for the changer.
    erased due to slander

Default Adapters should be available @ local car stereo shop - That's where I got mine...

Try local car stereo shop.... Worked here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NZ
    I'm going through the same thing. I got the cdx-m30 extremely cheaply, and my car wasn't pre-wired at all, so I got the round-to-square interface cable (called a bmw-pio/m) from www.discountcarstereo.com and a used head unit (either Alpine CM5901 or Pioneer something) and bmw data cable.

I heard that the Pioneer cable would not work, as the pins have a different location compared with the factory cable.

I'm still waiting for all my parts to arrive, but I'll let you know if it works!!! I went this route as it was still cheaper than installing the cheapest aftermarket cd head unit, and I prefer the factory look.
    So, Dan, what happened to your CDX-M30 cable? If you're putting in a receiver other than the 89-90 Pioneers then that cable may not work for you. As I understand it, the later model BMW cable for 91-95? will work with the CDX-M30 with that BMW-pio/m adapter. And that BMW cable is evidently a 14 pin cable. Is that right? Is the CDX-M30 cable available?
    Pretty frustrating as I was hoping I could just use the prewired set already in the car! Looks like finding a cable and snaking it or finding the elusive BMW changer that just plugs in are about my only options. I'm starting to care less about CD sound for some reason...

I didn't have the cdx-m30 cable. I bought a used head unit from a 1991-1994 (1995 doesn't work) E34, along with it's factory data cable, and intend to use the bmw-pio/m between the factory cable and cdx-m30. That seemed like the most logical way to go about it for me. The interface cable was around $30 from www.discountcarstereo.com.

You might have to do the same as me, but as you have the prewired cables you would just need to get a good used head unit from 1991-1994, and the bmw-pio/m interface cable. Also the wiring harness for the stereo was different from 1991-onwards, so you'll need to patch one in.

I've located a BMW CDX-M61 changer that has a round 13 pin female connector that looks like it would plug into my prewired cable. Unfortunately, the power connection looks significantly different than my small rectangular plug/cable for power. Perhaps I can sort that out somehow, sigh. Geez, just exactly which BMW changer actually used to plug into this thing and work, anyway!?

By the way, anyone out there have a '89 or '90 5'er that had prewired and factory CD Changer installed? Would you check and see which model number it is? Preferably this would be the Pioneer changer that looks like a cdx-m30 changer only it says BMW on it.
    TIA