GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Does 91 525ia have a remote keyless system installed?

Default Does 91 525ia have a remote keyless system installed?

Hello,
    I have 91 525ia (manufactured 10/90). The battery is in the engine compartment. The previous owner didn't have the fob. I am thinking to buy one from Ebay. However, I need to make sure if the car has the alarm or remote keyless system installed already. The car does have a red security/theft-deterrent LED on the instrumental panel. So, where or how can I find the alarm/remote keyless system?

Thanks,
    Jerry
    -

Default lift up your rear seat and look on the drivers side

Quote Originally Posted by AZ91525ia
    Hello,
    I have 91 525ia (manufactured 10/90). The battery is in the engine compartment. The previous owner didn't have the fob. I am thinking to buy one from Ebay. However, I need to make sure if the car has the alarm or remote keyless system installed already. The car does have a red security/theft-deterrent LED on the instrumental panel. So, where or how can I find the alarm/remote keyless system?

Thanks,
    Jerry
    -
    If you have the control unit (underneath your rear seat) that you see at this following link...then you have it installed and just need to get one of those 3 button keyfobs shown or sold on eBay: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/739005/3
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

the factory location for the led and glass breakage mic in a e34 is below the vents on the back of the center console facing the back seat, if theres a led by the cluster it's probably a aftermarket system
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default I agree with you mostly...

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    the factory location for the led and glass breakage mic in a e34 is below the vents on the back of the center console facing the back seat, if theres a led by the cluster it's probably a aftermarket system
    but since the Alpine keyless entry system was a dealer installed option...some may have mounted the LED & glass breakage microphone on or near the instrument cluster (between the fog light switch & radio) like was mounted on the e32. I believe both mounting positions were used...although if I was installing the unit...I'd use the rear center console location...it's a lot closer and easier to chase the wire to that spot!

Here's a pic from the TIS CD that even states that the LED & Mic go on the dash...but the location sure looks more like the lower panel of the rear center vent, doesn't it?

Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

the e32s led/mic were in the dash because the port for the alarm unit is by the column on top of the knee bolster below the dash, the e34s port is by the battery (or where it goes on 89-91 525s) under the back seat. i was going to mentenion that the e32 was under the dash but while i was posting a customer came in the shop and i had to wrap it up quickly. i've installed several new factory systems in e34s and e36s (behind the glovebox) it's cool to do a new one but pricy, depending on the car a used one can be a small pain to extract the harness, some of the better aftermarket units will go through the factory alarm port where ever it is, they usually get mounted under the dash for easy access to the ignition switch to install the starter interupter relay

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7
    but since the Alpine keyless entry system was a dealer installed option...some may have mounted the LED & glass breakage microphone on or near the instrument cluster (between the fog light switch & radio) like was mounted on the e32. I believe both mounting positions were used...although if I was installing the unit...I'd use the rear center console location...it's a lot closer and easier to chase the wire to that spot!

Here's a pic from the TIS CD that even states that the LED & Mic go on the dash...but the location sure looks more like the lower panel of the rear center vent, doesn't it?

all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

ps, the piece in the pic with the led/mic in is the wood trim to the right side of the column on a e32, i guess that you could put them there on a e34 but you'd need to add about 5' to the wires so you could run them under the console and behind the hvac controls/radio to get them by the column