GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Tire and wheel question

Default Tire and wheel question

Well its time to buy new tires for 95 525i (sport package). Right now it has 205/65/15's on the stock basket weave wheels. I would like to get tires that are wider this time, so my first question is what size tires work with those stock wheels and what size would everyone suggest? I would also like to here what brands people recomend? I live in Colorado so we do have some snow days but not enough to sway my decision on the tires so that doesnt matter that much. Also I was thinking about trying to re-face my wheels some of them have curb rash from the last owner, anyone know about this, or have any suggestions about buffing, or sanding them out? Thanks guys!

Ian

Not sure if the wheel width will allow it, but if you use 225/60-15 you will only increase the wheel diameter from 25.49" to. 25.64", or an increase of 0.5% (acceptable for speedo, DME, etc...).

My ETK show's your 525i's wheels are 7Jx15 ET20, so you should be good to go with the 225's!

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Ok, so could I use a 225/65/15? Can someone recomend some good sport tires? Any brands to stay away from? What about cleaning up wheels?
    thanks!

Default Do not put 225/65/15 on !!!! wrong size

Do not put 225/65/15 tires on. This is the wrong size. Read your manual. It should show that the 225/60/15 tire is an optional size for the 525i. At least my manual states this.

I put the Bridgestone Turanza 225/60/15 tires on my 525i (replaced 205/65/15 tires) about 16,000 miles ago. No problems, smooth, quiet and extremely good in the rain and no issues this winter in ice and snow. I also have traction control. I commute each day in this car. However, there as not Performace tires, they are all season tires.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Nope....225/60-15....225/65-15 would be too tall...26.52" or 4% diff (your speedo would under read or you would be going 4% faster than the speedo indicated.)

For (summer) tires, I have Continental ContiSport2's...I would highly recommend them, OEM on many hi perf German autos (BMW, Audi, Porsche, MB) and much nicer than the Pirelli P7000 Supersports on the car when I bought it.

To keep wheels clean, consider Raybestos QS cermaic pads. I got them on Bill R.'s recommendation -- he was bang on! Nice stopping power with very little dust. Very important when you own 17" Style #5 wheels. Pics of: a) ContiSport2 side wall, and b) tread (along side my winters.)

Cheers,
    Duey

Any fix suggestions for the curb rash on the wheels?

ok, first off 225/60-15 is the proper +0 upgrade as it comes standard on the 540i and the older 535i. Next, I've used the Falken Zeix 512 tire with no complaints from anyone who has taken my advice. They are rated #1 by Consumers Guide, have a pretty decent treadwear rating, are all season M&S rated, and have a rare feature not offered on many 60 series tires, a rim protector built into the sidewall. As for your rim "rash" depending in the level of damage, there are many options. Contact me with photos of the damage if you want my suggestion/opinion on refinishing. Hope this helps..

Thanks this does help a lot! As for the wheels its mostly scratches along the wheel edge from curbs (I think). I dont have any way to get you pictures but I would still like to hear any suggestions you have!

Can't see it well in the pics, but the ContiSport2's also have a sidewall rim protector, it extends about 8-10mm beyond the rim. I think that's pretty standard on Z/W/Y-rated high perf tires....oops, nevermind, my CS2's are 45/40-series...please disregard, you don't see that often on 60's.

W50, I think you'll have to remove the clearcoat on the wheel, polish with 4-O steel wool and rubbing compound, then recoat the clear on the rim...

Duey
    Last edited by DueyT; 01-03-2005 at 01:17 AM.

Default Yokohamo AVS dB S2 in 225/60-15 work....

I put those same baskeweaves on my '93 Touring, with a set of these new Yokohama AVS dB S2 tires. Have less than 1000 miles on them, but I like them so far (I'm a big Yoko fan, you should know). Handle well in the rain, and no trammeling like the 16" AVS ES100s on my '81 745i. But alas, neither do the dBs have the rim protector - a great feature that my wife could use!

Curb rash: I've heard you can have divots and gouges welded up and repaired. Refinishing is not too bad as a DIY job, unless there's major discoloration requiring re-painting (and not just new clearcoat). All those little spokes are a pain to sand (I've refinished three sets in the last few years), and I haven't found a chemical etch that gives good results. Any suggestions? For paint, Wurth makes a proper silver, plus a clearcoat, that both look good. Hard to find now, try contacting Wurth in US for info.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by wishihad50k
    Well its time to buy new tires for 95 525i (sport package). Right now it has 205/65/15's on the stock basket weave wheels. I would like to get tires that are wider this time, so my first question is what size tires work with those stock wheels and what size would everyone suggest? I would also like to here what brands people recomend? I live in Colorado so we do have some snow days but not enough to sway my decision on the tires so that doesnt matter that much. Also I was thinking about trying to re-face my wheels some of them have curb rash from the last owner, anyone know about this, or have any suggestions about buffing, or sanding them out? Thanks guys!

Ian