GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Computer question for any of you computer guys... I have

Default Computer question for any of you computer guys... I have

5 versions of the TIS, each is from a different date. Whenever you install the new one it goes over the older one and wipes it out and installs the new one...
    The problem i have is that some of the older tis's have info for the e34's thats not on the newer tis... and vice versa. The newer tis has info for other models thats not on the older one.... Does anybody know a way that i can install all 5 versions and have them run side by side? Thanks....

assuming u have windows installed....
    it depends on how its installed....
    usually a program dumps its files into
    the c:\program files\xxxxxxx that folder being whatever the installer wants.
    however more often than not u can change that install dir
    to say c:\program files\tis1
    then install the 2nd one c:\programfiles\tis2
    then from your desktop u can have a shortcut pointing to
    each folder and/or the executable within each folder

this would work as long as the install proggy doesn't
    write any info the windows registry (i've never used the tis)
    if all the programs write the same info it may or may not
    work.

Default Re: multiple TIS versions

Same thing happened with mine so I installed the older version on a Pentium 1 that had been relegated as a doorstop out in the shop, not the best solution.

I assume you have some flavor of Windows 2000 or XP? I'm not a computer guru by any means, but could you create a 2nd user profile with administrative privilege & install a different TIS version for that user, leaving the other version intact? At best it would be an inconvenience having to log off/log on to switch versions.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

i wonder if you could just use partition magic to cut some 600 or 700 mb cubbyholes for em and actually have that work. i've never tried installing the etk to different folders on the same HDD, does windows do something to it that way?
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default What's the installer?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    5 versions of the TIS, each is from a different date. Whenever you install the new one it goes over the older one and wipes it out and installs the new one...
    The problem i have is that some of the older tis's have info for the e34's thats not on the newer tis... and vice versa. The newer tis has info for other models thats not on the older one.... Does anybody know a way that i can install all 5 versions and have them run side by side? Thanks....
    What do you mean by "goes over the older one and wipes it out"? Do you actually see an uninstall of the previous TIS?

A real install packaging program (MSI, Wise, InstallShield etc.) is going to create an installer that uses an identifier to locate previous copies of a given program. Alternative directories won't help you in that case - in fact, there's really no workaround. If it's a home-grown installer (that is, written by the group that developed the TIS), there might be any number of ways to fool it, but it will take some experimentation. Drop me a note if you want to discuss this further.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Same thing happened with mine so I installed the older version on a Pentium 1 that had been relegated as a doorstop out in the shop, not the best solution.

I assume you have some flavor of Windows 2000 or XP? I'm not a computer guru by any means, but could you create a 2nd user profile with administrative privilege & install a different TIS version for that user, leaving the other version intact? At best it would be an inconvenience having to log off/log on to switch versions.
    ...with 2K or XP, you can create profiles as "Power Users" (in 2K, START > SETTING > CONTROL PANEL > USERS AND PASSWORDS ) which allows them to install but not have full admin priviledges...I'd go that way Bill.

Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

the bmw programs are very picky on file paths. I don't think that it is possible to install to another directory. Everything installs to C:/BMW95. Its all done in a batchfile - not sure that changing the batchfile would cause problems when installing.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

where can i download a copy of these TIS installs?
    i'm sure there is a way around it

and having different users will not let you do it. lol