GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transprogram alert

Default Transprogram alert

I have a 92 US version e34 525i, my tranny has already been rebuilt because of mechanical failure and had been working properly for the past 6 months. But the Transprogram fault is starting to come back more frequently now. Usually it appears in the morning when I first start it up, then all I have to do is restart the engine, the fault would go away and it will work properly the whole day. My mechanic is trying to zero in on the electricals because he thinks some electrical glitches might be causing the error.
    Is the check control module responsible for deciphering these faults? I had an e30 once with a check control module that would tell me somethings wrong but really theres none, I fixed the problem by simply unplugging the module. It ran trouble free until I had to sell it reluctantly. Can I do the same for my 525?

Quote Originally Posted by madrid
    I have a 92 US version e34 525i, my tranny has already been rebuilt because of mechanical failure and had been working properly for the past 6 months. But the Transprogram fault is starting to come back more frequently now. Usually it appears in the morning when I first start it up, then all I have to do is restart the engine, the fault would go away and it will work properly the whole day. My mechanic is trying to zero in on the electricals because he thinks some electrical glitches might be causing the error.
    Is the check control module responsible for deciphering these faults? I had an e30 once with a check control module that would tell me somethings wrong but really theres none, I fixed the problem by simply unplugging the module. It ran trouble free until I had to sell it reluctantly. Can I do the same for my 525?
    First question... Does this go into Limp mode? (only one fwd gear and reverse)
    Second question... Is your battery up to snuff? Cold weather effects batteries which if weak, MAY cause this although there are lots of other reasons. (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/TransProgram.asp)
    I currently have my signal disconnected due to ..... long story

Scott
    1995 BMW 525i w/139K miles, EAT Chip - (Gone)
    07 525i 22K, 07 328xi (41K)
    1982 Mazda RX-7 w/147K miles (Back again!)

I cant really help you, but good luck. I had to rebuild mine after i got that message.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Default This happened on my 1991 525i and the problem was

some tranny sensor. Scott's question about the car going into limp mode is important, as my car never did when the Trans Program message appeared. It still operated normally. The warning, with the annoying "bong" would come and go with increasing frequency until I had the sensor replaced. I bought the car with this problem 6 years ago, and it was my first BMW, so I really didn't know anything about these cars. I took it to a dealership (this was when I didn't know any better) and they replaced some sensor in the transmission that solved the error. The sensor was several hundred dollars, and I don't know the exact name of the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C
    First question... Does this go into Limp mode? (only one fwd gear and reverse)
    Second question... Is your battery up to snuff? Cold weather effects batteries which if weak, MAY cause this although there are lots of other reasons. (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/TransProgram.asp)
    I currently have my signal disconnected due to ..... long story

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Schneiders
    some tranny sensor. Scott's question about the car going into limp mode is important, as my car never did when the Trans Program message appeared. It still operated normally. The warning, with the annoying "bong" would come and go with increasing frequency until I had the sensor replaced. I bought the car with this problem 6 years ago, and it was my first BMW, so I really didn't know anything about these cars. I took it to a dealership (this was when I didn't know any better) and they replaced some sensor in the transmission that solved the error. The sensor was several hundred dollars, and I don't know the exact name of the part.
    Dick?
    On your transmission fix, was it the speed sensor that was replaced?
    Thanks,
    Scott

Default Scott, that certainly sounds like the correct term, but

I was reluctant to say that as I really can't remember. I will look for the repair order from then and see what it says.

Dick?
    Thanks,
    Scott

Default I found the service order, I'm not quite as disorganized

as I thought!

The problem was initially diagnosed at Baron BMW in Kansas City as I happened to be there and took the car over to get it checked out. This was only a couple of weeks after I bought the car, and they discovered a couple of minor recall things that hadn't been done on the car and took care of them.

They also diagnosed the Trans Program issue for me. Their comment was that the "Check Control Module is bad causing the display to come on". They said that the cost to replace would be in the $425 range, and gave me the part number of 61 35 1 388 614. What they did to diagnose was to swap the module out with one from another 525 they had and the problem went away. They didn't have the part in stock so I couldn't get it fixed then.

I live closer to Wichita than KC, so I had the repair done there at a later date, since the problem was only annoying and the transmission worked perfectly. I am unable to locate the repair order for the actual work (perhaps I still am as disorganized as I thought!), but the cost was in the $400 range, as I recall.

Dick?
    Thanks,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Schneiders
    as I thought!

The problem was initially diagnosed at Baron BMW in Kansas City as I happened to be there and took the car over to get it checked out. This was only a couple of weeks after I bought the car, and they discovered a couple of minor recall things that hadn't been done on the car and took care of them.

They also diagnosed the Trans Program issue for me. Their comment was that the "Check Control Module is bad causing the display to come on". They said that the cost to replace would be in the $425 range, and gave me the part number of 61 35 1 388 614. What they did to diagnose was to swap the module out with one from another 525 they had and the problem went away. They didn't have the part in stock so I couldn't get it fixed then.

I live closer to Wichita than KC, so I had the repair done there at a later date, since the problem was only annoying and the transmission worked perfectly. I am unable to locate the repair order for the actual work (perhaps I still am as disorganized as I thought!), but the cost was in the $400 range, as I recall.
    Thanks Dick... Always looking at another possible source to my particular issue.

Hi Scott, yes it does go into limp mode everytime the transprogram alert would appear. My battery is new, just replaced it after my mechanic suspected it might be the cause of the faults. But even after replacing it, the fault still appears and would disappear after 1 or 2 restarts. Do you think my check control module is faulty?

Hi Dick, I'll try to borrow a control module from the other cars in my mechanic's garrage and see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast