GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are 18 inch wheels overkill on an E34?

Default Are 18 inch wheels overkill on an E34?

Well I've bought myself an E34 at last!! A clean unadulterated white 535i, black leather, low mileage, service history, basketweaves etc. I'd like to lower it slightly just to allow the wheels to fill the guards (arches). I found some wheels I really kind of like 18" x 8" ROH Stradas. The are a little like the M-parallels (split spoke) but are in fact a two piece design, and they are made here in Australia. (along with the Pontiac GTO in the attached picture... yes the GTO's are made here in Oz as well and exported to the US!)

They are only available in 18" or 19" inch and can be ordered with varying offsets. Of course I wouldn't consider the 19"s (be like driving a roller skate!) so the 18's would be it. My question is how detrimental would these be to the ride quality. I know it's going to be compromised to a degree but by just how much I'm not certain. If they made a 17" version then I would most likely go for those... but! - Cheers

P.S. Don't be confused by the AMG brochure, the wheels are made by ROH and are available under the AMG name over here.
    BTW - Don't even ask what original BMW M-Parallels (forged) would go for over here. Think of the cost in the U.S. and multiply by at least a factor of 2. About $1,200.00 USD each or around $1,600.00 Aussie dollars each!

Last edited by pundit; 12-30-2004 at 09:03 AM.

Default No such thing as overkill!....

While the ride might be just a tad bit rough, especially over the occasional speed-bump, I really like the look of my "Conestogas". I have to remember to keep it slow in the turns, usually never over 3mph. But on a straightaway....Dude!....it's like I'm running on rails!!!

They do take a while to detail though!

Brian C.
    JAJ!
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C.
    While the ride might be just a tad bit rough, especially over the occasional speed-bump, I really like the look of my "Conestogas". I have to remember to keep it slow in the turns, usually never over 3mph. But on a straightaway....Dude!....it's like I'm running on rails!!!

Brian C.
    JAJ!
    Hmmm... did you consider trying to fill out the fenders a bit more? I think I can detect just a slight gap.

Quote Originally Posted by pundit
    Well I've bought myself an E34 at last!! A clean unadultered white 535i, black leather, low mileage, service history, basketweaves etc. I like to lower it slightly just to allow the wheels to fill the guards (arches). I found some wheels I really kind of like 18" x 8" ROH Stradas. The are a little like the M-parallels (split spoke) but are in fact a two piece design, and they are made here in Australia! (along with the Pontiac GTO in the attached picture.) They are only available in 18" or 19" inch and can be ordered with varying offsets. Of course I wouldn't consider the 19"s (be like driving a roller skate!) so they 18's would be it. My question is how detrimemtal would these be to the ride quality. I know it's going to be compromised to a degree but by just how much I'm not certain. If they made a 17" version then I would most likely go for those... but! - Cheers
    As many said before - 17" is the best size for the E34. 18" tends to be an overkill, rubbing may occur when wheels are turned completely to the left or right, uneven tyre wear, aquaplanning, higher fuel consumption, steering system suffers, poor driving comfort, expensive tyres... shall I go on?

I wouldn't recommend going anything bigger than 235/45-R17 on a non-M5 E34.

Regards

Default 18's are not too bad... just watch the speed bumps...

18's fill the guards looking good, but you still need to lower it a tad (new springs). The photo shows a 540i - the black one - with 18's and lowered 1.5" with 'King Springs' (available in Oz)

Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Sanderson
    18's fill the guards looking good, but you still need to lower it a tad (new springs). The photo shows a 540i - the black one - with 18's and lowered 1.5" with 'King Springs' (available in Oz)

Phil
    How's the ride? Are the springs much firmer than stock?

Does anyone know of a company that makes an M-parallels in 17" ? 18" wheels and michigan roads do not mix, not to mention that the gap in tire cost from the 17" to the 18" is pretty substantial.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

it also depends on if u want your speedo to be accurate....
    we say 18's are too much b/c to keep the proper diameter
    u'd need to run a super skinny tire. low profile.
    but if u don't mind increasing the profile and say shop around
    for an all season tire with a softsidewall (NOT kumho 712's)
    then u'd have a decent ride still. i'm just anti 18's b/c they
    are heavier and i want me speedo to be accurate

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C.

Brian C.
    JAJ!
    The spacing of the lug holes is a dead giveaway you did this with your computer.

Also there is no way the rotors would be that large. Nice try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast