GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Engine misfire after washing

Default Engine misfire after washing

I have a '95 525i Touring, 134k. I like to keep the engine reasonably clean, but twice now the car has run like crap after I hose off the engine, to the point where is has to go to the shop. Taking off the plastic engine covers and drying everything with compressed air doesn't help, and it doesn't dry overnight either.

I'm used to this behavior on our '72. I can cover the distributor with a plastic bag and usually everything's fine, but I thought engines were pretty water-proof these days. Is there anything specific to look for? How about ignition spray on the coils?
    David Porter
    Glyndon MD
    '95 525i T
    '95 530i
    '72 3.0 CSi

Default Keeping it clean...

1. Start with the engine being warm!
    2. Spray on appropriate cleaner (i.e. Simple Green&water)
    3. Let it soak for a while.
    4. Loosen gunk/dirt with a 2 or 5inch stiff bristle paint brush or wheel brush.
    5. Always use a low pressure spray to wash off.
    6. Dry with air and towels.
    7. Oil/Grease/WD40 appropriate metal parts
    6. Wax paintwork and treat plastic/rubber (303 Protectant or Vinylex).

Always worked for me and NEVER had a single problem in any of our vehicles or bikes. Just ask the guys on the board how clean MY car is
    "Uncle" Phil C
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    Former owner of a 95 525i 5spd. "The GQ" aka A Shark in sheeps clothing
    03 R1150RT 6spd. "DaRTth"
    00 R1100R 5spd. "LeRoy"

Default may have gotten water into the spark plug wells....

..causing misfires... that's happened on my M50. Now I just gently hose the fender wells, and mist and wipe everything else.... also being careful not to get water into the orange sensors on the fender wells, which I believe are airbag sensing components.... -Rob '93 25ia.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidPorter
    I have a '95 525i Touring, 134k. I like to keep the engine reasonably clean, but twice now the car has run like crap after I hose off the engine, to the point where is has to go to the shop. Taking off the plastic engine covers and drying everything with compressed air doesn't help, and it doesn't dry overnight either.

I'm used to this behavior on our '72. I can cover the distributor with a plastic bag and usually everything's fine, but I thought engines were pretty water-proof these days. Is there anything specific to look for? How about ignition spray on the coils?

Default My experience on a 95 525i

I generally follow BMW's guidelines. I use a minimum abount of water on a warm, not hot engine. To date, I have not had any problems. Make sure you cover your fuse box area. I use aluminum foil and mold around the area. I suspect that is a place for electrical dispruptions.

Hope my experience helps.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidPorter

Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default i would only use a wet/damp cloth.

tim s.

Default Mine stays pretty clean,

only place I power wash is by the frame rails under the power steering hoses and the other side where I cant wipe it down. I never had a car this clean and it only takes a little while to keep it clean, armor all the plastic covers and done. It's not like Juniors but clean none the less.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy