GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Heating Problems. Please Help!!

Default Heating Problems. Please Help!!

1989 BMW 535i. My A/C went out a year ago and was living without it until 6 months later my heat went out. I replaced the "sword" resistor and 1 month after it stopped working again. There is heat but no blowing. I took it back to the place that replaced the resistor. They said the blower motor has enough amperage. And they "said" the resistor was ok but maybe the module on the resistor could of went, but they said they couldn't test it. I don't understand about the module on the resistor or if it is testable. Does nayone have any suggestions or guidance for me on what to do. I live in Wisconsin and it is -20 degrees today. I also want to mention that I have a lot of electrical problem with my car as well. I need to repair or replace my LKM (I think) my tailight and parkin glight on same side doesn't work and I know its not the bulb, just want to make sure I am doing the right thing here. Does anyone have any LKM's for sale.

Thanks

Sweetray

Default sword as well as the module can be the problem

The module sits behind the sword. To remove it you have to unplug it from passenger as well as drivers footwell.
    Look on the E34net under electrical troubleshooting.

click here

On the same site you will find information about the LKM and the socalled mustard relay. Both are usually to be resoldered.

Similar info to repair the LKM and mustard relay are on

this page

If you want to buy these parts used, try on Ebay. Look under parts for E34 and E32, parts from both models fit in your car. Same applies for the sword, heater valves, auxiliary water pump etc.

E34 parts

E32 parts

Also try to check the IHKA control panel. The thumbwheel for the blower fan could be defective.
    Another source for used parts is vines.
    direct link

Default I cannot find the location of sword

So i took apart glove box and air ducts and I cannot find the "sword". Is there an easy way to find this part.

Let me know

Default have you checked the site?

The speed of the fan blower is controlled through two types of setups on the BMW E34:
    the final stage unit (older E34s) also called "the sword" because of its look ($140) or the blower series resistance ($30).

click once more here

Above pic is from a left hand drive E32, but location of sword is same.
    Also have a look here, it refers to the microfilter replacement (only installed from 06/1990 , no earlier models have it) on a LHD E32 car, but the pics are good and show you the 'sword', same location on an E34:

click here

Default I don't know if this picture will help any more than that one but

Its right here as seen in this pic, held in by a couple of torx screws

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    The speed of the fan blower is controlled through two types of setups on the BMW E34:
    the final stage unit (older E34s) also called "the sword" because of its look ($140) or the blower series resistance ($30).

click once more here

Above pic is from a left hand drive E32, but location of sword is same.
    Also have a look here, it refers to the microfilter replacement (only installed from 06/1990 , no earlier models have it) on a LHD E32 car, but the pics are good and show you the 'sword', same location on an E34:

click here
    Last edited by Bill R.; 12-29-2004 at 12:39 PM.

Default thansk for the help

I replaced the sword with ease from the pics. But it didn't fix the problem of no heat blowing. How and where can I access the blower motor to check or replace this.

Is it actually not blowing, or is it just blowing cold air? I can't quite tell...