GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light bulbs

Default Light bulbs

I recently changed the bulbs for my E34 for low and high beams and the fog lights too. I put 100 W instead of 55 W, and WOW I can see again. The problem is I keep blowing fuses. Any ideas or precautions on this?????

you are using bulbs that are rated too high for the wiring, you can stick a higher amp fuse in, but you may melt your harness if you aren't careful.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

wow...now thats asking for serious troubles...hope you didnt blow out the LKM already.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Get rid of those bulbs before you fry the wiring harness. If you want more light from the stock lamps, go with HIR bulbs (check hirheadlights.com for information). The 9012 (low beam replacement for the 9006)Toshiba Harrision HIR bulbs puts out 1800 lumens of light v. the stock 1000 lumens. The 9011 (replacement for high beams) puts out 2500 lumens v. the stock 1700 lumens. They draw the stock 55/65 watts so they do not require an wiring harnes upgrade.

BTW, the low beams bulbs make a dramatic improvment over stock. The high beams make a good improvement but not as much as the low beams.

Quote Originally Posted by aabdelhamid
    I recently changed the bulbs for my E34 for low and high beams and the fog lights too. I put 100 W instead of 55 W, and WOW I can see again. The problem is I keep blowing fuses. Any ideas or precautions on this?????
    Oh god. This is an awful idea.
    First, the fuse is there to protect the wiring. It's job it to break the circuit when the wiring is handling too much current. If you put a larger fuse in there, you can (and probably will) start a fire. If you don't start a fire, you'll melt the wiring harness between your fusebox and the headlamps.

Second, you're blinding everyone else on the road. Not only is this rude, it's massively unsafe for you and everyone else.

If you 'can't see' with the stock lights, there's some other problem. The stock lamps on the E34 just aren't that bad (at least in comparison to a lot of the other **** out there).

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius
    If you 'can't see' with the stock lights, there's some other problem. The stock lamps on the E34 just aren't that bad
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default M'be try a tankful of Nitromethane too......

I bet it'll make your car go faster! For a little while at least. Probably straight up.

"Modifications" are fine, within limits. Everyone wants to go just a bit faster, higher, longer....etc. Realizing when to stop pushing that limit, and before you blow up or hurt someone, is the trick. Remember, you are not the only one that sees your lights.

Brian C.
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

Default Mmmmmmmm Nitroooooooo...

too much compression would hydrolock.

WHy not just do the bulb conversion? Worked absolutly great for me! Before I did it I thought the lights didnt even work in the rain.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Default I guarantee you, they will not last long

I had them in too. Look at this pic - after some days only. There is the blank wire left. On the other side even the wire melted. If you have the Hella lights inside, your reflectors (they are actually made of plastic) will also melt. Still have pics of them with the bubbles from the heat. bUt do not show them to avoid a heart attack for you.

After that I installed H1 55W with 50% more light. They work fine. Now I have H1 55W Xenon Bulbs bought from United Kingdom with 6.500K.
    Here are some from the same company with 4.000K.
    Check for other offers of this company. Very low prices.

click here

Default Thanks

I already fried my fog lights big time. The part where the light bulbe is fixed melted and fell on the floor yesterday. I hope I did not do too much damage further than this. Pray for for me . Does my sudden failure of the trun signals have anything to do with this ????? They work for one blink on one side and the right side is constantly lit ??????????? HELP ME. This is the doing of my sh....... electrician I am on my way to him to fry his a..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast