GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Symptom: Squeak when depressing clutch pedal

Default Symptom: Squeak when depressing clutch pedal

For a few weeks now I have been getting a squeak when I push the clutch pedal down to the floor. The noise is not from inside the car, rather from underneath near the transmission. Since there are no external mechanical linkages to lubricate, I fear what I am hearing is something from inside the transmission, possibly throw-out bearing, heralding the need for a new clutch kit in the not so distant future? Also, I feel slight resistance sometimes when depressing the pedal, but it might be my imagination.
    1995 E34 540i Manual Limited Edition -- #50 out of 70 Australian RHD. Have owned 3 x E34 535i 5 speeds and E36 328i 5 speed (in the US), and a 1982 E28 528i, RHD Australian Euro-type 5 Speed.

at 65k you may still have the orignal clutch, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to just get a clutch kit and get it over before it blows up and strands you, i've seen a few pressure plates die from age, or it's possible that the lube has dried up on the sliding surface that the throw out bearing rides on, ether case it needs to come out to besure whats up if nothing can be found on the outside, better to do it when it's conveinant then have it crap on you. you should be able to find a clutch kit for around $250

Quote Originally Posted by rph
    For a few weeks now I have been getting a squeak when I push the clutch pedal down to the floor. The noise is not from inside the car, rather from underneath near the transmission. Since there are no external mechanical linkages to lubricate, I fear what I am hearing is something from inside the transmission, possibly throw-out bearing, heralding the need for a new clutch kit in the not so distant future? Also, I feel slight resistance sometimes when depressing the pedal, but it might be my imagination.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

It is the original clutch (I've got all the service records and paperwork from when the car was brand new). Seems a bit soon given the miles, but the car is nearly 14 years old. Winfred, I agree its better to replace at a convenient time before it packs up. Apart from the squeak the transmission functions normally.

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    at 65k you may still have the orignal clutch, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to just get a clutch kit and get it over before it blows up and strands you, i've seen a few pressure plates die from age, or it's possible that the lube has dried up on the sliding surface that the throw out bearing rides on, ether case it needs to come out to besure whats up if nothing can be found on the outside, better to do it when it's conveinant then have it crap on you. you should be able to find a clutch kit for around $250
    1995 E34 540i Manual Limited Edition -- #50 out of 70 Australian RHD. Have owned 3 x E34 535i 5 speeds and E36 328i 5 speed (in the US), and a 1982 E28 528i, RHD Australian Euro-type 5 Speed.

once they get this old the pressure plate usually wears out or the throw out bearing craps

Quote Originally Posted by rph
    It is the original clutch (I've got all the service records and paperwork from when the car was brand new). Seems a bit soon given the miles, but the car is nearly 14 years old. Winfred, I agree its better to replace at a convenient time before it packs up. Apart from the squeak the transmission functions normally.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Rats. I thought as much. Thanks for the opinion, and have a happy Christmas. PS Santa brought me an EAT chip. Ho ho ho.

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    once they get this old the pressure plate usually wears out or the throw out bearing craps

What are other signs that the clutch may be going? I have a 90 535 5 speed with 140K. I have only had it about 4 months. It seems to be driving great.
    Ted K
    90 535 5-speed

odd noises or weird feeling pedel or slipping under full power, the common noise on a 535 is the rattling twin mass flywheel at idle (sounds like a diesel with the squirrel running around in a tin can noise)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted K
    What are other signs that the clutch may be going? I have a 90 535 5 speed with 140K. I have only had it about 4 months. It seems to be driving great.