GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Sound System no sound but stereo is ON

Default Sound System no sound but stereo is ON

My car developed a problem in the audio system. It's a 91 535ia, and all of a suden the sound stopped coming out of the speakers. If I turn the volume all the way up, i can barely hear some audio. At some point it cut off and kicked back on for another hour but it stopped working again and this time for good. I am guessing the AMP has problems. How do I go in trouble shooting it so that I don't go replacing the amp and something else is the culprit?

Thanks
    Al

sounds like your head unit was sending it's audio signal, the faint sound you heard at full volume, and the amp was not providing the added power.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

make sure that the fuse isn't cracked on the amp, it's between the two plugs
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default looks like the AMP is dead

Checked the fuse and it's good, I checked the power 12 V and Negative and also control and all seem good. I messed around with the amp a little and hit it once or twice and sound came back and went away again, so I am guessing a cracked solder somewhere, but most likely won't be able to fix on my own, unless I get a diagram of the amp.

What to do next to replace it? I want to keep the stock radio and changer, so just need to replace the amp, do I get a used one or is there aftermarket ones that I can use.

Thanks
    Al

somebody here on the board probably has a good used one that they removed for a aftermarket stereo that could be had cheep

Quote Originally Posted by Asamaan
    Checked the fuse and it's good, I checked the power 12 V and Negative and also control and all seem good. I messed around with the amp a little and hit it once or twice and sound came back and went away again, so I am guessing a cracked solder somewhere, but most likely won't be able to fix on my own, unless I get a diagram of the amp.

What to do next to replace it? I want to keep the stock radio and changer, so just need to replace the amp, do I get a used one or is there aftermarket ones that I can use.

Thanks
    Al
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Looking for an original AMP "Blaupunket" 91 535i

Thanks Winfred