GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do americans love 535i?

Default Why do americans love 535i?

The difference between 535i and 525i (M50) is only 19 HP, 525i uses newer technology (4 valves per cylinder, no distributor cap...) + when you add an EAT chip to a 525i they even have about the same power.

Is it worth it? 1 liter of displacement more yet only 19 HP advantage? Higher consumption and older technology? Or do people in America really live by the principle "there's no replacement for displacement"?

I would appreciate if you could clarify this to me, because in Europe (especially in my country - Croatia), you don't see much 535's, especially after the M50B25 hit the streets.

P.S. I'm just curious, I didn't intend to offend anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    Or do people in America really live by the principle "there's no replacement for displacement"?
    Hahaha! Yes.

There is a rampant and almost unmediated belief here that "bigger is better". Even if the 535 had LESS horsepower, I think most Americans would prefer it to the 525, simply because the engine is BIGGER. At least, that is evidenced in modern-day car buying habits. The realized utility, the efficiency, or the technology used in the car has almost nothing to do with the desirability of it. I mean, just look at Americans' unstoppable thirst for mega-huge SUVs!

Thanks Interceptor - interesting question from Croatia!

-Andy
    Ex-Calypso Red 540i owner

Default A very good question and point. Didn't the 535 come with

a manual transmission in a higher percentage than the M50 525i? I know that I see very few 525i's with the manual and most of the 535i's that I have seen had the manual transmission and not an automatic.

Just a guess, but that could be part of it. Also, as you said, we Americans love displacement. However, when we are talking about smallish 6-cylinder engines, that feeling seems to me to be a bit silly.

The difference between 535i and 525i (M50) is only 19 HP, 525i uses newer technology (4 valves per cylinder, no distributor cap...) + when you add an EAT chip to a 525i they even have about the same power.

Is it worth it? 1 liter of displacement more yet only 19 HP advantage? Higher consumption and older technology? Or do people in America really live by the principle "there's no replacement for displacement"?

I would appreciate if you could clarify this to me, because in Europe (especially in my country - Croatia), you don't see much 535's, especially after the M50B25 hit the streets.

Default Also, the 535i engine does have a lot more torque than

the M50 525i engine. As I recall, it is about 225 compared to 180 in the M50. This would give the 535i considerably more acceleration from a stoplight than the 525i, and that is something we Americans love even more than displacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Schneiders
    the M50 525i engine. As I recall, it is about 225 compared to 180 in the M50. This would give the 535i considerably more acceleration from a stoplight than the 525i, and that is something we Americans love even more than displacement.
    525i M50 has 250 Nm and 535i has 305 Nm of torque. BUT if torque is essential for acceleration, diesel engines would be the best choice for street racers, right? Acceleration and top speed is only slightly better in 535i so I don't think that's the issue here. Especially if you take into account that the M30B35 engine is heavier than any M50.

Default because they don't have Italian tax laws

in Italy there is a tax law which favours small cc cars under 2000 cc.
    That's why there are among others very 'hot' cars with more HP than in other parts of Europe or USA.
    Of course the car manufacturers produce also for such markets the 'suitable' engine.
    2 Ltr. cars from BMW for touring car racing in Europe (ETCC) are often models sold in Italy exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    in Italy there is a tax law which favours small cc cars under 2000 cc.
    That's why there are among others very 'hot' cars with more HP than in other parts of Europe or USA.
    Of course the car manufacturers produce also for such markets the 'suitable' engine.
    2 Ltr. cars from BMW for touring car racing in Europe (ETCC) are often models sold in Italy exclusively.
    I agree with you - my registration and insurance fee I pay every year is around $600! I would pay the same amount if I had a Ferrari! Isn't that just a bit silly? In Croatia, you pay big bucks if you drive a car that has more than 110 kW (150 HP) and 2.5 liters. If you take into account that fuel prices in Europe are a lot higher - driving a BMW in Europe is an expensive sport!

taxation as Shogun mentioned....relatively cheap fuel relative to the rest of the world...and all you have to do is drive both cars for you answer...the big six car has more guts. In the extreme...V12 E-32's enjoy the same following for similar reasons relative to the big six E-32. Why be excessive or have more?...because they can....basic human nature.
    George

I'm perfectly content with my '93 525i 5-spd, i have outrun a 535im before and i love it.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Default My figures were in ft./lbs. While diesel engines have a lot of

torque, they are usually built for that use, aren't they? Also, I have very little knowledge about them, but I have never seen one with hp comparable to their torque, unlike the conventional engines. Since the 535i has more hp and considerably more torque, I would think it would be noticeably quicker off of the line. I have seen a lot of postings about how quick the 535i "feels" from a standing start, and never read one extolling the virtues of the 525i in that regard.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but the perception from reading a lot of postings is that the 535i, especially with the manual tranny, is considerably quicker.

525i M50 has 250 Nm and 535i has 305 Nm of torque. BUT if torque is essential for acceleration, diesel engines would be the best choice for street racers, right? Acceleration and top speed is only slightly better in 535i so I don't think that's the issue here. Especially if you take into account that the M30B35 engine is heavier than any M50.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast