GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1992 535i Sport Auto M30 2 faults

Default 1992 535i Sport Auto M30 2 faults

I recently bought this car(yesterday) and when i started it up this morning my girlfriend noticed some blue smoke(when it finally started) this to me indicates the valve stem seals are worn. Can someone tell me to do the oil seals will the head need to come off? or is it a easy job etc?. Also i have noticed when the car is idling and you quickly blip the throttle the car nearly dies, but if you go slow on the throttle it is fine - can someone help to diagnose the problem and help with a cure? Any help and i will be internally grateful

Default Yes the head will have to come off to change the stem seals, i wouldn't worry about

it if you only get a small amount of smoke on startup... Not worth repairing it in my opion... unless you're using a quart of oil every 600 miles or so would i even consider it. The throttle hesitation could be any number of things, first check the rubber boot between the throttle body and the air flow meter for cracks, loose hose clamps any thing that would let air leaks occur, then i would look at the airflow meter and make sure the vane moves freely, then check all the usual tuneup stuff, sparkplugs, gap. Valve adjust and set them slightly on the loose side between .012 and .014 cold. Check temp sensor connections and airflow meter connections, any poor connection here will show up in how it performs. Check O2 sensor connection. Check fuel pressure to make sure its correct... and fuel filter, these are just a few things to look at

Quote Originally Posted by marklintonarnold
    I recently bought this car(yesterday) and when i started it up this morning my girlfriend noticed some blue smoke(when it finally started) this to me indicates the valve stem seals are worn. Can someone tell me to do the oil seals will the head need to come off? or is it a easy job etc?. Also i have noticed when the car is idling and you quickly blip the throttle the car nearly dies, but if you go slow on the throttle it is fine - can someone help to diagnose the problem and help with a cure? Any help and i will be internally grateful
    Last edited by Bill R.; 12-22-2004 at 12:27 PM.