GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dashboard lights & dials work periodically

Default Dashboard lights & dials work periodically

Hi, im new to the forum so hi everyone.
    I own 2 E34's, a white 1990 520i manual and my new blue 1992 520i se automatic.

Basically when driving the automatic, all dials and indicators periodically go nuts and turn themselves off & on. When it happens I loose all the speedo, rev limiter, mileage, what mode im in etc.. everything goes except the background orange lighting.

It flickers on and off when moving the steering wheel to turn. When the panel decides to turn itself back on, I get all lights flash up (abs, parking light, out of petty indicator, etc..) it resets my mileage couter also, which doesn't help me when my petrol indicator is on the blink!

Seems as though there is a loose connection somewhere. When I start the car and the dash is working, the temperature indicator hovers into the red area straight away (even if the car hasn't been driven for days!), and then when the engine warms up the indicator sits bang in the middle like it's meant too.

My petrol indicator will never go up further than half way, and is very inaccurate at the best of times.

Anyone had problems like these before?
    Would appreciate any advice! Cheers

Gary

Default probably the dashboard capacitors

have a look here

No big deal to repair that. Many have done it.

Thanks for your help, will give it a go after christmas.

Default which section tells how to repair capacitors?

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    have a look here

No big deal to repair that. Many have done it.

No section tells you how to repair capacitors. I meant repairing the dashboard cluster by replacing the capacitors against new ones. The capacitors are vey cheap
    Besides, English is not my native language.
    Sorry for that misunderstanding of my poor English. But the link explained it very well.

Default Which capacitors to change?

Hi, been trying to change my capacitors this weekend. I have got the dash unit out without problems, I've managed to get into the circuit board also.

But following this guide: http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...capacitors.htm

My board looks quite a bit different, I have managed to borrow a digital camera and have taken photos ...

I think I have found the 4 capacitors that I need to change, I have marked them with black arrows on the 2nd pic. Can anyone verify that these are the correct ones to replace? I don't want to start desoldering things until I know that they are right.

Thanks
    Gary

Default Before attempting any change....

be sure to get replacements. The orange one looks like a bi-polar electrolytic capacitor, be sure to get the proper substitute.

I would also do a thorough cleaning on all contacts as your description on the issue looks more like a poor contact somewhere. Spraying some good contact cleaner and conditioner should help.

Javier

Default Forgot to mention, ....

I would replace all standard electrolytic capacitors (not the bipolar) to Tantalum ones. Be careful to keep the polarity, both standard electrolytic (Blue/black ones) and tantalum are polarity sensitive.

Javier

Thanks Javier, im getting the capacitors tommorow.

Im going to be replacing:

2x 220uf 6.3v (black/white)
    1x 100uf 16v (red/black)

The orangey looking one has got this written on:

100/40v-
    -40...+85oc

Doesn't mean much to me, but im planning on doing a straight replacement. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your help.
    Gary

had the same problem on mine recently, was going to change the dash capacitors, but found out to be a bad contact in dash loom,check all your contacts first !good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryE
    Hi, im new to the forum so hi everyone.
    I own 2 E34's, a white 1990 520i manual and my new blue 1992 520i se automatic.

Basically when driving the automatic, all dials and indicators periodically go nuts and turn themselves off & on. When it happens I loose all the speedo, rev limiter, mileage, what mode im in etc.. everything goes except the background orange lighting.

It flickers on and off when moving the steering wheel to turn. When the panel decides to turn itself back on, I get all lights flash up (abs, parking light, out of petty indicator, etc..) it resets my mileage couter also, which doesn't help me when my petrol indicator is on the blink!

Seems as though there is a loose connection somewhere. When I start the car and the dash is working, the temperature indicator hovers into the red area straight away (even if the car hasn't been driven for days!), and then when the engine warms up the indicator sits bang in the middle like it's meant too.

My petrol indicator will never go up further than half way, and is very inaccurate at the best of times.

Anyone had problems like these before?
    Would appreciate any advice! Cheers

Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast