GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Stupid bleeder....

Default Stupid bleeder....

So I finally got around to replacing to t-stat and when I went to bleed the cooling system the stinking bleeder screw broke off. I got a new one from the stealer but can anybody give me a clue as to how I can remove to broken part still firmly lodged in my radiator? Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
    Qball

Cripes, what a pain. I'd try cutting (maybe scratching is a better term) a slot in the top of the broken piece, until a small flat screwdriver blade can be fit into it. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by qball
    So I finally got around to replacing to t-stat and when I went to bleed the cooling system the stinking bleeder screw broke off. I got a new one from the stealer but can anybody give me a clue as to how I can remove to broken part still firmly lodged in my radiator? Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
    I just used a sharp screwdriver to make a groove, back and forth a few times for the tip to catch and it just unscrewed out.

Winfred says heat the end of the screwdriver up and melt a gouge in it, remove it, let it cool and then unscrew it...what could be simpler?

I can see me melting my way to china...LOL
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Woo Hoo!!

Got it!!! I tried to cut/melt a slot in the top of what was left of the bleeder but it just kept tearing out. I finally took a drill bit that was just smaller than the remains of the screw and VERY carefully drilled out what was left. Then with a VERY small scredriver peeled the rest away from the threads. Inserted the new bleeder and away we go. Thanks for everything you guys do on this board. You all are truly an indispensable resource.
    Qball