GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Last few problems to sort out

Default Last few problems to sort out

Ok folks I would really appreciate your help in sorting out the last few issues on my 540 V8 1994 E34. Mileage 96,000 miles. 17" M5 replica wheels.
    Factory fit M tech suspension.

1. Windscreen Wipers, drivers side is out of alignment. It will either slam into the plastic scuttle under the bonnet or go off the top of the windscreen, is their any way of adjusting this or do I have to replace all of the linkages to get rid of the slop?

2. Headlamp washers don't work, where is the pump as I can't see it?

3. Shaky ride, I do not have any waywardness at speed and there is no vibration or shimmy but the car really crashes over bumps and the body seems to shake in sympathy, I know the roads in the UK are c**p but this is not right! I have replaced the dampers with new M tech dampers and all new top mounts and bottom mounts which has improved things significantly but the car still does not ride as it should, I left the old M tech springs on as they looked fine, was this a mistake and should I have fitted new Eibach springs? Failing that what should be my next step. I have had all the bushes inspected by a main dealer and they didn't think anything needed replacement other than the centre tie rod and one track rod which I have had done.

p.s. my gearbox is still whining from cold for the first 2 mins but I am hoping refitting the oil filter and topping up the fluid will sort that out!

Just leaves me to wish everyone on the board a very Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year.

Cheers

Ben.

does the car sit pretty low??
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Last few probs to sort

Hi all, I think this post got lost when the website was down.

Great to see you're back up and running ok now.

If anyone can help would really appreciate it.

Car does sit fairly low but not excessively so.

i want to say sway bar links, that's where my clunk was sourced from when i went over bumps.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

if the car sits real low your probably bottoming the shocks. Do you know what shocks you have? some arent designed to work with lowered cars and will bottom before the actual limit.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

If the car sits real low your probably bottoming the shocks. Do you know what shocks you have? some arent designed to work with lowered cars and will bottom before the actual limit.

I don't think it can be that, my car had factory fitted M-Tech suspension

I have recently had brand new genuine M-Tech dampers fitted which I purchased from BMW. I also replaced the topmounts all round plus the rubber spring seat bottom and top all round.

I used the old M-Tech springs though and I wonder whether I should have fitted eibachs?

Ben.

Ben, I took a look in the ETK for the headlamp and fog's pump, but the schematic doesn't actually show where the pump is...in fact it shows the headlamp pump off to the side not connected to anything and a distribution hose to the headlights and fogs from the main washer pump. I'll take a look and try to see where it is...it may have a separate fuse, are all yours (fuses) OK?

If your suspension was factory installed then you have the same as mine...did this problem start recently? My suspension is pretty firm and given the high spring rates, I definietly know where the potholes and dips are...have you been able to take a look at the sway bar struts?

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Default Ben- did you have any solution for the suspension yet?

I have a very similar problem with my 535is. It has Bilstien Sport with HIOP springs. I have always found the feedback over holes and speed humps to be excessive. Pedders suspension couldn't any problems with shocks or mounts. I had it at a performance tuner last week for a Dyno run. They replaced the ball joints and caster bushes with 850 ones (to stop the shimmy under braking). This has improved the ride a bit, but even they commented on the harshness of the ride. Let me know if you find anything.

John 535is 1989, Sydney

Check your headlight washer bottle has water in it. There is a feed hose running from the main washer bottle could be crimped etc. secondly the headlight washers only work after the 5th squirt with the lights on or something. But you probably already know this.

Did you manage to improve the ride any? My 540 on m-tech shocks poly bushes, front strut brace and 235/45 18, 265/35 18 M-Parallels is shite! I also have the split fold rear leather seat option. Which I don’t feel helps, feels as though there’s more flex back there compared to the 1988 525.