GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1995 530i Nikasil Problem

Default 1995 530i Nikasil Problem

Hi, im new to BMW cars and about a week ago purchased a '95 530i Automatic from the local BMW dealership with 95K miles on it. I was not informed of this known and a serious problem with the M60 engine that can fail anytime and be very costly to repair. Since im new here and don't know if this has already been discussed but any suggestions what can be done to fix this problem. Another thing which seemed a bit strange is that when i asked the BMW salesman for a warranty he totally declined and gave some lame excuse about how the dealership is not big enough financially to cover extended warranties, im beginning to think the Nikasil problem may be the reason. Any useful suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Do you think the car has an issue with it? Not all cars do, yours may be perfectly fine.

The best thing to do is get a leakdown test done and go from there, if the numbers come back OK you're probably not going to have much trouble with it.

Enjoy the car.
    1992 535i TCD-s2

I had exactly the same concerns about a year ago after I bought my 95' 530. There is a way to check your engine block casting numbers to tell if you have a Nikasil block or if it has been replaced. Go to this site for the codes:

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/...shortblock.htm

It turned out that my car had a late build date and by then the Alusil bocks were being used. Good luck.

If your engine made it this far, it will last long time.

Default Nikasil Folks Chime In Here!

Mine is Nika and runs fine. Lots of miles too, if the thing runs smooth your probably fine.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

werd.

I've got about 137K on a nik block and the idle is absolutly smooth. If it werent for the vaccuum leak I developed over the last couple weeks you'd hardly know it was running

If your worried, get a leakdown test. If the idle is smooth and the previous owner used only high octane (i.e., low sulfer) gas then I'd agree with Tiger, you'll prolly never have a problem with it. The nikasil issue has been discussed ad nauseum (sp?), I'm sure you'll find no shortage if info here if you just search on "nikasil"...or even "nikky"

Dennis

'95 540i 6sp, uuc ssk, Dinan chip
    proud member of the nikasil club

87420m and lovin every nikky of it.

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

I think BMW covers engine replacement within 100k miles so if it checks out bad have it replaced NOW! ...but it will pass fine.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Yep, I love my nikky too.

Thank you all for your helpful info. I did speak to BMW USA and the lady in CC told me that since the 6 year warranty time has run out but if the problem arises then to call them back and see what options they'll have since they take case per case basis. Maybe the fact that i bought the car from a BMW dealership might work in my favor if the car fails the "leakdown" test.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast