GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Thermostat installation question

Default Thermostat installation question

So I ordered some parts to install the new thermostat and I'm looking at the new housing and the two gaskets wondering if this is all I need.

I have in my possesion Item 4(aluminum) , 5, 6 and 8

Am I good to go with no gasket sealer or anything?

Picture from here by entering the vin
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...03&hg=11&fg=35

Thanks!

looks like you need # 7 too
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default #7 or #8 gasket depends on model year/mfg date...

if his 525i has a mfg date of 5/92-up...then all he needs is gasket #8. If its before that...then he needs #7. The manufacture date is located on a label on the drivers door jamb.

Once again...this is an example when [b]specific[\b] car info isn't given like the model, year, manufacture date, or engine code...you can inadvertantly get incorrect info. In your favor, you did let us know it was a 525i...but that model has 3 different engines...the M20, M50, and M50tu...please remember that in the future. You must give us pertinent and complete info when asking a very specific question. Not all e34s are the same.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7
    if his 525i has a mfg date of 5/92-up...then all he needs is gasket #8. If its before that...then he needs #7. The manufacture date is located on a label on the drivers door jamb.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7
    Once again...this is an example when [b]specific[\b] car info isn't given like the model, year, manufacture date, or engine code...you can inadvertantly get incorrect info. In your favor, you did let us know it was a 525i...but that model has 3 different engines...the M20, M50, and M50tu...please remember that in the future. You must give us pertinent and complete info when asking a very specific question. Not all e34s are the same.
    I thought I entered that info in my profile to show up under my name?
    I'll be sure to include it in my post body next time.

you ether need a 6 and 7 or a 6 and 8 depending on the housing, a aluiminum bmw housing generally needs a 7 and the plastic needs a 8 and the common aftermarket housing needs a 8 which fits into a slot in the back of the housing like the plastic housing
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I changed it and all I needed was #6 and #8. Fingers a little scraped up but managed to change it without removing the fan. It gets to operating temperature now and the heat kicks, before it was only getting between 1/4 and 1/2 with luke warm heat.

garlic. is your needle at the exact half point, or just a little over? i keep thinking mine is over the half point (by one needle width) and i need to bleed the system.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Its nuts on.

the system burps it's self when the thermostat opens everytime you drive it, bleeding is only needed when the thermostat is air locked and will not receive the heat it needs to open. it depends on the gauge on where it sits, the big thing is once up to temp it doesn't move more then a needle width total

Quote Originally Posted by liquidtiger720
    garlic. is your needle at the exact half point, or just a little over? i keep thinking mine is over the half point (by one needle width) and i need to bleed the system.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Another quality job thanks to Bimmer.info.com!

Quote Originally Posted by Garlic Breath
    Its nuts on.
    i didnt even help on this one.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy