GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about starting a detailing business

Default Thinking about starting a detailing business

I'm unemployed right now. I could get a job in my field but I hate it and I hate working for the man. I'm getting too old to chase the carrot, and I'd rather do something I like doing. I have money saved, and I know alot about car care. Am I nuts? I was thinking a high end hand wash/detailing/paintless dent repair shop.

I'd like to hear some pro's and con's

-tim

Default I love the idea, but.......

Remember, you would be getting into a very labour intensive business to do a better than good job, which high end clients come to expect. As an example, I do detailing on high end cars on the side, and to be honest with you, I spend about 7-9hrs on a car depending on the side. You would have to make your margins attractive enough where you could live off of the profits while at the same time make the cost attractive. It could be difficult, but word of mouth is a powerful thing.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by tim
    I'm unemployed right now. I could get a job in my field but I hate it and I hate working for the man. I'm getting too old to chase the carrot, and I'd rather do something I like doing. I have money saved, and I know alot about car care. Am I nuts? I was thinking a high end hand wash/detailing/paintless dent repair shop.

I'd like to hear some pro's and con's

-tim

I was thinking about a basic self car wash setup, with a garage to offer say three tiers of detailing service ranging from say $50-$300, and specialty work like dealer and restoration by quote. Maybe 3 bays and 5 guys. Also offer basic maintainance items like fluids, air pressure, wiper blades, etc. A concession for detailing equipment, coffee, car accessories. Plus, on the side, I'd like to restore and sell pre-'95 bimmers, and use my own shop. Finally, if I had the space, maybe do some consignment sales by letting a portion of the lot as show space for fsbo'ers

I'll print your flyers and workorders and crap!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

we have a guy come to do our sale cars, he shows up in a full size van with a good sized water tank in it and a small generator to run vac's and buffers and is pretty much self contained, looks like it could be a decent thing to run, run a flyer to small lots and bring the detailer to them
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default but does he PRINT the flyers?

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    we have a guy come to do our sale cars, he shows up in a full size van with a good sized water tank in it and a small generator to run vac's and buffers and is pretty much self contained, looks like it could be a decent thing to run, run a flyer to small lots and bring the detailer to them
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

sounds like a good plan. i want to detail cars over my winter break....but i have a feeling nobody is gonna pay me 75 bucks to do their car. haha.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Default Takes a place, probably with rent and a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidtiger720
    sounds like a good plan. i want to detail cars over my winter break....but i have a feeling nobody is gonna pay me 75 bucks to do their car. haha.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

not really, my driveway works fine.

my usual detail includes these steps.

Detailing procedure
    Wash with mothers gold class shampoo
    Clay bar with pinnicle poly-clay
    Rinse car
    Polish with 3m Finesse it 2 (until swirl marks are un-noticeable, usually 2-4 passes)
    - if un-removable on dark car, I will use 3m swirl mark remover for dark colors.
    Rinse car
    Polish with Klasse All-in-one
    Rinse car
    Apply Klasse sealant (synthetic wax) or Mothers Pure carnauba wax or Pinnicle Paste Glaz (light cars only). your choice

- All polishing will be done using a Porter Cable and Lake Country Polishing Pads.
    - Wax, sealant, and others will be applied by hand.
    - Window will be cleaned using Stoners Invisible Glass, followed by Rain-x.
    - If car has black trim- I will use mothers back to black.
    - Tires will be shined using Meguiars High Endurance Gloss or Wolfgang Tire Gel
    Vaccum carpets
    Dust interior

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

liquidtiger-here in dallas the service you describe has a market value of $200.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast